What is the right goal for Calcium Hardness in a hot tub?

amandabee

Apr 10, 2023
Berkeley, CA
Based on some solid advice on Reddit, I've been using the Pool Math app and reading through this TFP thread How do I use chlorine in my spa?

My random test strips recommend Total Hardness (calcium and magnesium) between 250 and 500 ppm. The thread here says to aim for a Calcium Hardness of 130-150ppm. The app says my recommended range is 250-650 (I assume PPM?) and the ideal would be 350-550. My actual reading is coming in just under 100ppm.

I'm not sure how to decide which value is accurate. Total Hardness vs Calcium Hardness is also a bit of a puzzle.

If you have a spa you might want to keep CH at at least 100ppm to 150ppm to reduce foaming.

If you don't have foaming I would not worry about your CH level.

I think PoolMath is giving you pool recommended levels and not standalone spa levels.

Oh, I have foaming!
I also have a teenager with friends and I just assumed that the foaming was because they're all teenagers who use too much laundry detergent and axe body spray.
That’s also a huge possibility- & the hair conditioner with girls! I have a strict no hair in the hot tub policy- you wanna swim, get in the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.