What is the best (glass) media for a new Triton TR100C Sand Filter--and where can I get it? (Southern California)

jdmpoolguy

In The Industry
Jun 14, 2023
Orange County, CA
I'm getting ready to fill this pool in the next week or two, so it's time to fill this filter up. I bought the Pentair Triton TR100C filter because of all the reviews saying you could get "near DE filter clarity" by using "glass" media, but I don't know what specific media to buy or where to get it in the Southern California area. Any suggestions?

I'm getting ready to fill this pool in the next week or two, so it's time to fill this filter up. I bought the Pentair Triton TR100C filter because of all the reviews saying you could get "near DE filter clarity" by using "glass" media, but I don't know what specific media to buy or where to get it in the Southern California area. Any suggestions?
Any normal pool sand works fine. I spent way too much on special ionized glass media and it filters the same as the old sand did.

We recommend you use pool sand in the filter. The sand in a pool sand filter is #20 silica sand; 0.45 - 0.55 mm. A discussion about different qualities of pool sand can be found in My findings on how not all sand is created equal. Pool sand that is too fine with small particles will be blown out from the laterals.

Wow! I'm shocked that the first two responses I got are telling me to just use sand. I researched my Rear off deciding on what kind of filter and it seems like everyone was raving about sand+glass.

Wow! I'm shocked that the first two responses I got are telling me to just use sand. I researched my Rear off deciding on what kind of filter and it seems like everyone was raving about sand+glass.

I guess the 300,000+ TFP members here are not everyone.

Reactions: proavia
Sorry about that. ☹️ I would have recommended a cartridge filter if you’re in CA. Sand filters use a lot of water backwashing but they filter just fine. If you have $$ floating around you’re free to use the fancy glass media. Ironically, the glass is ultimately made from sand.

A lot of people think the filter does a lot more than it actually does. It just filters out floating junk in the water. I also bought a brand new TR-100 and got suckered into the glass media thing 4 years ago.

I would have recommended a cartridge filter if you’re in CA. Sand filters use a lot of water
+1. If your sand filter is new in unopened box, I would return it and get a cartridge filter. In my area of northern CA, everyone uses cartridges to save water.

I'll throw my hat into the ring that years and years later, nobody. Not one company. Makes a (fill in the blank other media) instead of sand filter.

Let us not forget that a sand filter won the inaugural TFP water clarity contest, no small feat amongst th3le crowd of these

pool enthusiasts.

(Credit @SSharp )

PXL_20220603_190319177~2.jpg

I don't like sand. It's course and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. But fair is fair and it'll do the job when well maintained / in the right hands.

Always consider the source. You are hearing from people either trying to sell the glass, or people who listened to the sales pitch and spent the $ on glass.

We have nothing to sell you and what type of filter you use has no bearing on our wallets. We are fine if you use sand, glass, or ground-up unicorn horn in your filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The best glass media for your filter is not glass but regular filter sand, as the filter is designed to use. Your wallet will thank you for not purchasing recycled glass. It is good stuff, but I have never found it to be better than plan ol' sand.
You will not be able to tell the difference in water clarity whether you use DE, cartridge, or sand. Anyone saying different is really trying to sell something. Filter regularly and keep your chemicals right, that's the key.
If a customer insisted on glass, I would do so, as it is more expensive, and I would make more money. In fairness to the customer I would always try to talk them out of it as a waste of money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.