What is in my water ?: Finally!!

Re: What is in my water ?!: Now What?

2011-06-16_10-39-21_989.jpg

More blue today

Re: What is the proper HP pump for a Sand Filter

Moved here from this post. Please try to keep all questions on a single topic together in on place. JasonLion

Question on this topic as well. I have a thread started about cloudy water as well. My pump is 1.5 hp in a 200lb sand filter. Is that too high, would that be why filtering is taking so long?

A 1.5 HP pump is larger than what you ought to have, and oversized for your filter. However, it isn't enough oversized to expect any dramatic problems. Typically a slightly too large pump for the filter will mean that it won't filter as well. Add that on to the fact that sand filters are slow to clear up the water to begin with, and it can take quite a while for the water to clear up, which is essentially what you saw happen.

In that case. Reccomendations for a filter type if I upgrade? I am liking DE, for the simple reason that when added, the jump in efficiency is incredible for my sand filter. I can also get a new properly sized pump and filter for a reasonable price.

Each kind of filter has pros and cons. DE filters clean up cloudy water far more quickly, but they tend to require constant attention while the process is happening because they catch so much debris so quickly that they need to be cleaned several times a day.

The crucial thing is not the kind of filter, but the size. Get the largest filter you can afford and have room for. Larger filter filter more efficiently and catch smaller particles than a smaller filter would when used with the same pump. A larger filter can also go longer between backwashings/cleanings.

Re: What is in my water ?!

After wife was repeatedly asking when when when can we go in the pool. I finally did get a DE filter. Should be here tomorrow. Pool has been at Shock level all last week until today with absolutely no change in cloudiness. Water is a blue cloudy and FC test and CC test are both passing. I will provide an update when it is installed

New Pump and Filter arrived. New one is very quiet compared to old one. I do have a couple questions. I ended up getting the Hayward EC 50 system, which reminds me that I have to setup the new stuff in my signature. I have three leaks that I cannot stop. First one is the pump output into the union then into the DE filter. I have removed and re-taped the fitting several times to no avail. I can see the water beading out of the safe of the fitting. The next is a leak at the inflow to the filter, only leaking below the fitting, and finally, the one which i think will take care of itself, the leaking around the lid of the filter. By the way, how do you remove the lid with the clamp, i loosened it quite a bit, but it wouldn't budge.

At this point the pump basket will not come to the lid with water either, there is quite a bit of "air" in the basket.

Update.

Less than 4 hours of DE Filter running time, the leaks took care of themselves and the strainer basket is free of all air, had to add some lube, the hand skimmer is even visible at the bottom now.!!!

Almost there, so it really was the lack of efficiency of my sand setup. I really think the hoses were in bad shape.

When it is finally there i will post the pics

Thanks to all!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.