What is in my water ?: Finally!!

Re: Algae or metals? - Stumped!

Newest morning numbers:

FC 10.5

Water is still the same amount of cloudy, had it at shock level all day yesterday. It did lose apprx. 6.5 ppm Do you think it is still algae? My concern is that it is not getting better an any way been this cloudy for roughly 1.5 WEEKS now without a change.

One week without progress is not good. That suggests that we are missing some factor. Since you are still losing chlorine overnight, there is still something organic in the pool getting broken down.

How confident are you of your CYA measurement? What CYA test did you use to measure CYA?

Iron can turn the water green or yellow, but it won't make the water cloudy or consume chlorine overnight. Water that is green from iron is usually a clear transparent sparkly yellow/green. Your description really suggests that it is algae.

Is it possible that there is a significant amount of debris on the bottom of the pool? If you can run the leaf rake over the bottom and come up with leaves or other debris you should keep doing that until the pool is as clean as you can get it. I know that doing that blind is tricky, but debris on the bottom can greatly slow things down.

What is in my water ?!

I went through a similar situation trying to get my pool shocked to get rid of something in the pool. It took over 2 weeks of shocking and I ended up taking my chlorine level to 3ppm over the shock level and that seemed to do the trick. The secret is to get your chlorine to shock level and keep it there. I had to go over the recommended shock level because of my work schedule. Hang in there, it will work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: What is in my water ?!: Now What?

Alrighty This morning:

26ppm FC 0 loss overnight
0ppm CC

However, water has not changed, this goes along with vacuuming for three hours yesterday. My sand filter faulty, Im ready to get a holw new pump and filter I am so frustrated with not ONE visual improvement. I took the multi off ot look at it last night and it also looks fine. What should my next step be due to there not being one visual improvement with the correct numbers. Those numbers also came from a K2006 test kit. I cannot test much more until i get the reagent refill, i almost ran out in under a week

I have a sand filter, and once I passed the overnight loss test it still took several days for my water to clear. It'll be a milky white for a while. It's not that your filter is faulty, it just takes a while for a sand filter to clear all the dead algae. Now my water is so clear it looks like you can touch the main drain, which is at least 8' down (going to measure this someday!)

RobbieH said:
I have a sand filter, and once I passed the overnight loss test it still took several days for my water to clear. It'll be a milky white for a while. It's not that your filter is faulty, it just takes a while for a sand filter to clear all the dead algae. Now my water is so clear it looks like you can touch the main drain, which is at least 8' down (going to measure this someday!)

Did you see improvement during the process at all, it has been a week of shocking, but no visual improvement whatsoever.

It took a long time for me to go through my shock process, well over a week. After my FC was stable overnight, it was still several days before I saw ANY improvement. I don't recall exactly how long it was from start to finish, but it had to be around 3 weeks total. Even at the end of that time the water wasn't completely sparkling, but a few days more and it was clear.

Sounds like a plan! I know it is painful to be patient. I wish I had a before picture but with the help of everyone here this is what I have now. You can easily see the drain at the bottom!

pool1.jpg

Robbie, your pool looks gorgeous!

Ledhead, my pool just cleared and is now sparkly after a couple of weeks of trouble with electric and pump not working properly, so pool went downhill. I had multiple problems with it and I've been fixing one after the other (and I may still have to change out some parts of my filter). It took a solid week of not letting the FC get below shock level to get it where it is. It wasn't as murky as yours but keep throwing bleach in there and cleaning your filter and it will happen! So test 2x daily and keep it at 16-20 and you should be OK soon. Good luck!

Shocking my pool, been at it a week

I am currently in the process of shocking my pool, been at it a week. I found it is very difficult for me to notice any visual improvement since I stare at it all day long!! I have been asking my husband to look at it periodically and he can see slight color changes where I can't anymore.

Also, another thing I have discovered that helps me is to take a picture at the same time each day from the same angle and then compare the two. This has helped me see the visual improvements daily. It also gives me encouragement to see how far I have come!! Just be sure you don't drop the camera/phone in the water!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.