What is a good size for a L shaped pool?

Hi David, thanks and i'll do my best getting pictures out and we are all looking forward to seeing more with Birdshots progress :)

Mirage the way you built your pool looks like it will last a couple of hundred years, wow, nice job, great pool and wonderful info.. I can only hope ours is built that well.

dc1 - after we laid out the area of the pool with the string, I am going to try and expand our deep end to make it 18 wide also. I stood on the would be edge and simulated jumping or diving in and it did seem crowd...to the neighbors watching probably seemed crazy!! But hey, once you sign your contract and put down your deposit, all you have to do is dream while you are waiting. It will be great and we are so excited. The kids (8, 5, and 2) were acting like they were jumping off the diving board, it was funny. My daughter, just turned 5 last week, acted like she was doing cannonballs...this from a girl that doesn't like to even get water on her face when she gets a bath. That should all change by the end of this summer though.

Mirage- thank you for showing me that post, i just spent the last 3 hours reading the 38 pages of the forum. That guy is amazing and did an awesome job on his pool and complete backyard paradise. I learned about building a pool, smoking ribs, cooking on an outdoor wok, plumbing, concrete finishing and water testing.

Our PB should have applied for the permit Friday, so hopefully we will get a start date soon! Our County usually takes about a week for the permits to be approved. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Question?? At the moment, we are only getting one color chaning LED light. With our pool being an L shaped, do you guys have any suggestions on where we should put it? I'm thinking on the outside corner of the L so that it will shine a little bit of light towards both ends of the L.

Checked with the Insurance agent today, we are cleared for the pool and diving board...no slide.

I also checked on the Umbrella Policy. I currently have $500k on my policy, to add another million will be about $220 a year. I think that it is really worth the piece of mind like you guys said. I will add it once the pool is finished or close to being finished.

Yeah they said more accidents happen on slides than anything else with pools. I know I was shocked and disappointed.

They said that people slip on the steps, run in to each other when sliding in the pool and that some small kids will actually skip across the water when they go in and hit other people or the other side of the pool wall. I bet some of the accidents could be contributed to alcohol!

I was really disappointed, really wanted one but do not think it is worth dropping our insurance company because of it. There has to be good reasons why they won't let you have them. Maybe we are better off with out it.

Birdshot671 said:
Yeah they said more accidents happen on slides than anything else with pools. I know I was shocked and disappointed.

They said that people slip on the steps, run in to each other when sliding in the pool and that some small kids will actually skip across the water when they go in and hit other people or the other side of the pool wall. I bet some of the accidents could be contributed to alcohol!

I was really disappointed, really wanted one but do not think it is worth dropping our insurance company because of it. There has to be good reasons why they won't let you have them. Maybe we are better off with out it.

That's so ridiculous, isn't it? But then again, people do sue for all kinds of accidents.

How did we ever grow up in one piece?? Also, I am sure I have never seen any child "skip" across the water like a stone, that must be some lightweight kid! We used to go down slides in a train, 3 or 4 of us holding onto each other's waists, I guess we were putting ourselves in danger!

LOL that image of a kid skipping across the surface of the pool just has me laughing! Seriously. How could someone even speak those words without cracking up? :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Start looking/researching options for Volleyball and Basketball. You may want sleeves inserted into your pool decking for the poles. I can recommend a Volleyball net/pole supplier i was very happy with last year, but i don't know anything about basketball stuff.

Have you been given a price for Sq ft of concrete pool decking, above and beyond what may be "included in the price of the pool"? Do you work with a separate concrete sub? I was surprised how cheap pool decking was for us @ $5 a sq. foot.

I highly recommend full length stairs in the shallow end, with the first stair being at min. 3 feet wide....but that eats into your volleyball space, but still it's awesome.

I don't think people would build full width steps going into deep end because they would be a diving hazard if you dove into them.

Enjoy!

Jackie - I know i thank my lucky stars that we made as long as we have, ha ha! I thought the exact same thing (about the slide), but it only takes one big lawsuit from someone, who was probably not watching their kid, to ruin it for everyone else.

Computer guy, Jblizzle and harley, I agree. I was also talking with dc1 about it. I think i have to get two. It will be worth it and I can try to talk them down too. Like he said, they should not let it be a deal breaker. I think one under the diving board and one somewhere in the shallow end would be good. For an L shape, i think 3 would be the best, one in each end and one in the corner of the L. We will see, we have our final walk through / design meeting next Wednesday morning.

Harley - I would love to take a look at the place you recommend for the volleyball net sleeves. That is what i wanted to do anyway. I have found one for $379 and the sleeves go into the concrete when they pour it. I think that would be the best way to do if we can.

Also, our concrete (broomed) was $7 a sq ft and $10 a sq ft for stamped. Everyone else we talked to was between $9 and $12 a sq ft for broomed / $15-$17 for stamped.

In reference to the steps, we are getting the Roman ends on both ends of the pool. In the shallow end, the steps will be located inside the half circle bump out and will be circuliar. In the deep end, we will have a 6' loveseat with another step on one end. I think they call it a swim out. I like the idea of the steps all the way across the shallow end entrance, i like the way it looks. If we were getting a different design, i would definitely do that.

Thanks for the great input, I cant wait to start posting pics!!

Okay so I got my volleyball stuff from http://volleyballusa.com/Catalog/Nets/P ... yball.html

I got the stainless steel sleeves, caps and poles (seriously heavy duty) and a net (it was a custom length and i upgraded to included dowels and kevlar ropes, not sure if that is still an option).

So when i got everything in, i unpacked it all and starting examining it. Both ends of the sleeves had been cut at a slight angle, at first i was like what's this, then it dawned on me...my concrete by the pool would be finished to drain away from the pool, so with these sleeves stuck in the concrete perfectly plumb the top would be angled and match the concrete.....well when i asked about that they were like no, when we cut them the saw blade gets off line cause the steels hard to cut....so then i started playing around with them inserting the poles into the sleeves and noticed the gap, meaning when the net was pulled tight, if sleeves were installed straight up and down the poles would lean in. So if figured out the angle the sleeves needed to be installed to allow for a tight net and perfectly straight poles, explained that to concrete guy and all is well ( i thought of other solutions you could easily just wrap duct tape around the bottom of the pole to get a snugger fit, or get some stainless shims)

The net also had several little tears in the material that goes around the perimeter, looked like when sewing it it got caught up in the machine or something. I called and talked to them, since it was a "custom" length they didn't want it back and sent me a replacement. I was extremely happy, replacement was perfect, and the original was fine for use as the tears were just cosmetic. When installed the net is serious business, you can hang on it, whatever you want you won't hurt it. They are a family business that love volleyball, when you call and talk you'll get someone who plays and can recommend what is best for your situation.

Picks of tears in the net, i am extremely picky but i thought a replacement was justified, replacement was perfect.
IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

Picks of it installed, thought i had better pictures sorry
IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

I figured out a cleaner way to rig it too so it's fast to put up and doesn't have a bunch of strings/cords that need to be tied up every time. It takes me about 4 full mins. to install it, for me it takes two people to unroll it and then walk it to the sleeves with net stretched out over the pool, easier than re-rigging it up to the poles every time.

I would buy it again.

Thanks for the info Harley, I will find out if they will install the pipe inserts. They should not have a problem with it. Did your PB charge you?

We have our final preconstruction / design meeting Wednesday morning and will be staking it. Hopefully they will start soon. I will have a better idea in a couple days i guess.

Very exciting!!!

Birdshot671, can you tell me how that volleyball set up worked. We are contemplating an L shaped pool and was wondering how to set up a volleyball game in the middle of the shallow leg without decking on one side to anchor it on. I had thought about a floating game with weighted anchors. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.