What did you do to your pool today?

Major rains going on here now...woke up to water level almost touching the T tracks!

Spent about 10 minutes draining down to the lowest skimmer level...more rain rest of the day.
Likely draining again when I get home from work.

I decided to leave the cover off this year like Dave. Raking leaves every few days, and I'm nearly done with that now. Can't make the final call until after spring, but I think it may be worth it not to have to look at and fool with that awful black cover this year.

Have had something close to 4 inches of rain in last 36 hours. Tested salt and it was low and surprisingly, very close to what the salt cell claimed. Water temp has gone up about 10 degrees from a few weeks ago. So added 40 pounds and muriatic to drop the pH. FC holding fine at 8.5 and even with all the rain, CC at 0.

I love having te swim jets for adding in chemicals. Slowly add anything in, in that jet stream (6 horsepower), and it mixes itself. Plus they're really fun to swim against ... Lol

Wish I could leave my pool open year round. The only thing I did was take a pic of it today.
20151212_083322.jpg

20151212_083413.jpg

Thought about opening my auto-cover to let a little rain in as the winds were minimal. We are closed for the winter, but I always add rainwater in spring and thought about getting a head start. Decided to go to my 4th Christmas party of the weekend instead. Gotta dry out soon; pun intended....

Casey why don't you leave it open all year? I know nothing about snow so am guessing that is why but just checking.

Kim

It will collect organic material, turn green and freeze solid. It also needs drained below skimmer n return because it freezes solid. Just not worth the hassle of leaving it open. If I were down south, I would.

I dreamed about my pool last night. All the water had inexplicably drained out and I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to fix the problem and yelling at everybody who got in my way. :rant:A clear sign I am missing my pool, if I miss fixing those kinds of problems. I may have to join the Y to make it through the winter.

I did my monthly check of all chemicals and vacuumed and back washed. The water temp is finally below 60 so I also turned down the pump run time to 4 hours.

I dreamed about my pool last night. All the water had inexplicably drained out and I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to fix the problem and yelling at everybody who got in my way. :rant:A clear sign I am missing my pool, if I miss fixing those kinds of problems. I may have to join the Y to make it through the winter.

:laughblue: I had the crazy thought of going to the Y just to swim. I am missing my pool too n winter hasn't even started here yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a pool?!

Oh that big round thing with the cover on it?! I just looked at it.

Well my kids have lost their cotton pickin minds.
Last two days they have swam.
54 degrees in the water.
No even expecting a hot spa ready to jump in afterwards.
The insanity of youth!

Well my kids have lost their cotton pickin minds.
Last two days they have swam.
54 degrees in the water.
No even expecting a hot spa ready to jump in afterwards.
The insanity of youth!

Growing up, we swam in Atlantic Ocean water in late May. Water temps probably weren't much above 55F. We survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Usually this time of year we have about 4-6 inches of ice on the lakes and by extension about the same amount on my pool. This year, the ice fishing fanatics are chomping at the bit. It's been a warm fall and winter to date, so many lakes in our area have very little ice at all. Maybe some have a couple inches on the perimeter or in the calmer bays, but most lakes have open water in the middle still. That doesn't stop some people from venturing out in the frozen areas with 2 inches of ice... or less... In northern MN there are some lakes with 4-6" of ice. You won't catch me on the ice unless there is at least that much. I'm more comfortable in January, February when the ice gets close to a foot thick and you can drive a truck over the lake (if you know what you're doing).

The thickest ice I ever saw personally was up on Kabetogema Lake, near the Canadian border in NE MN. Ice was 22-26" thick. Folks had to have extensions on their ice augers to get to water from the top. You only get that much ice when there is limited snowfall on the lake (which acts as an insulator, preventing ice formation) and very cold temperatures. This lake is near International Falls, MN aka Icebox of the Nation International Falls, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia As part of your bucket list trip, you should see someone cut a whole for spearing fish through the ice, with a chain saw. :thumleft: Regular bar oil for chain saws gets too thick at low temperatures so we use vegetable oil instead!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support