Well Water=Brown Water. Test Results!

06/24/09 8:15 P.M.

FC is 17 just now. Gonna check it in the morning and see what the loss is. Pool may be a little better. Still a hint of green. Turned my pump off to un-hook polaris and when I turned it back on sand blew outta the returns for about 10sec. :grrrr: I guess that's a question for another area of the board.

I video'ed myself doing the FC test and am uploading it to youtube, it will be ready shortly...... :mrgreen:

06/25/2009 5:59 A.M.

Just tested my FC and it is 15.5....... A loss of 1.5 overnight. Is that a lot? a little? I'll be at work all day so I guess I need to shock it before I leave or else I'll lose a lot to the sun. Suggestions.....Advice..... Thanks :wave:

Below is my video yesterday of me testing my FC. Check it out and make sure I'm doing this right. I don't see any real difference in my pool and I'm just wondering if I'm doing this right...... :cry:

10 Bonus points to whoever tells me what movie the song come from.....

[youtube:2ipjcfod]Xr3IcFV-gBo[/youtube:2ipjcfod]

It also looked like the vial didn't have enough water in it. There is a layer at the top of the sample where the water isn't level, it has a curve to it, called the meniscus. The bottom of the meniscus should be at the 10 ml mark. From what I saw in the video, it looked like the top of the meniscus was at 10 ml.

That doesn't completely invalidate your results. Your actual FC level is probably a little higher than what you measured. A smaller sample will take fewer drops to change color. You still lost too much FC overnight to be completely done, but you are getting really close.

reebok said:
you need to lose 1ppm or less overnight. the only thing I really see is those samples are supposed to be taken 12-18" below the water.

Ok, I'll be sure to start going a little lower. Thanks!

JasonLion said:
It also looked like the vial didn't have enough water in it. There is a layer at the top of the sample where the water isn't level, it has a curve to it, called the meniscus. The bottom of the meniscus should be at the 10 ml mark. From what I saw in the video, it looked like the top of the meniscus was at 10 ml.

That doesn't completely invalidate your results. Your actual FC level is probably a little higher than what you measured. A smaller sample will take fewer drops to change color. You still lost too much FC overnight to be completely done, but you are getting really close.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I just assumed the top of the curve was what I was supposed to use. I'll use the bottom from now on. The water looks better today, I think we're getting closer.

frustratedpoolmom said:
One of the Rocky movies? Rocky 4?

YES! 10 Points for you :party:

I'm gonna try and do the FC test tonight again. I'm thinking my CYA is lower than what I'm coming up with because it seems like a get a lot more response by having the FC at around 20 than I do at my shock level of 12.......

The pool looked better than it ever has yesterday afternoon and last night. I thought we could maybe swim today so I turned down the chlorinator so the FC level might get low enough. We woke up this morning and it was a little worse so I checked the FC level and it was 17. I am almost out of R-007 :hammer: but have some on the way. I thought maybe since it looked worse today the CYA might be a little higher than 30 and it wasn't up to shock level. I checked the CYA just now and it was 40 so I was barely at shock level. I'm gonna put some bleach in it, check the FC once a day until my R-007 runs out and keep bleach in it. Hopefully the refill won't take long to get here......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems like I'm getting nowhere :grrrr: While waiting for my refills to get here I've been constantly putting bleach in (at least 2 gallons a day) and for a couple days running the tablet feeder. The water looked the best the days I was using pucks in addition to the bleach. I had enough R-007 to check the FC twice over the weekend and it was above shock level both times. It hasn't been below shock level in over a week anytime that I've tested it.

So yesterday I got the R-007 in the mail, turned off the feeder, and checked my FC before bed. It was 32. I figured the CYA had gone up so I checked it and it was 60 (shock FC is 24). I got up this morning hoping that it hadn't dropped much. It was 27. I thought for sure I had done it wrong, so the second time I tested it was 28.

I am desperately trying to get it ready to swim by Saturday but I feel like I am making no progress. I would appreciate ANY suggestions/advice.

P.S. I am also having issues with sand coming out of my returns which isn't helping with the clarity, referenced here: sand-coming-out-of-return-t14521.html

Thanks again for all of your help so far..... :-D

Yeah, my pump has been on for prob about weeks str8 now. I haven't backwashed in about 4-5 days now cause pressure isnt moving much now. I brush at least once a day, sometimes twice.

Just checked the FC now and it was 25. I put (3) 182 oz containers of bleach in this morning after I checking the FC.

I took the polaris out last night and everything has settled to the bottom now. I can see the bottom of the deep end. Our new liner is a dark blue color so that may be contributing to me thinking it should be clearer than it is. The one before this one was really light blue.

I wish there was a way of getting the sand out. Does anyone have the sand/silt bag for the 360? The knee highs I put in the bag don't seem to catch very much sand.

Here are some pictures of my water....

blue.jpg

blue2.jpg

Your water looks good. :goodjob:

Even if your FC isn't holding overnight, that shouldn't stop you from swimming by saturday. :party: :cheers:

Have your FC elevated for the party, somewhere middle of the range between "target" and "shock", and then shock it after everyone leaves. This assuming FC drops below your "min" for your CYA level. If it's still above the "min" then don't worry about shocking right after the party.

You are in the homestretch. I wouldn't be surprised if your FC holds before then. Keep it at shock tonight, repeat the overnight test. Do it again Thursday, if you need to. Don't get discouraged...

You are almost there, I can feel it! :goodjob:

Didn't have time to post this morning but FC was 27.5 so I only lost 0.5!!!!! I tested it again to be sure and it tested at 28. I can't believe it!! I am so excited!! I came home from lunch and the water is starting to look a little sparkly :goodjob: It's crazy how it changed so much the last day or so. We were thinking of swimming tonight.....We can as long as the FC is between target and shock level?

I don't even know what to do now. So I just need to keep my FC around the target level all the time now?? Thanks for everything :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

JasonLion said:
You should be able to use a manual vacuum to clean up the sand.

I used to have a manual vacuum but when I would hook it up I would lose prime in the pump. Pool guy said I had a leaky pipe underground. That's when I bought the polaris, it's all I got now......

Turn the chlorinator off and leave it off. The pucks are loaded with CYA and that is why your CYA is going up. If you use BBB, you don't need the chlorinator. If your CYA gets too high, the only way you can get it back to a manageable range is to drain water out of your pool and refill it. Since you are on a well, I am sure you don't want to have to go through this again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.