Wacky results on water test

aroby

Jul 26, 2011
I just got to my pool in SW Florida. 4 weeks ago it was broadly fine, although the salt was low. According to Leslie's it was around 2800ppm. I cleaned my Intellichlor. My pool service, who are generally very good, added a couple of bags of salt and said the chlorine was high, so knock the chlorinator back to 20%. After they added the 2 bags of salt, my Intellichlor has been reporting over 4100ppm, so when I got back to the house today, I took another sample to Leslies. They tested it with two methods and got 3800ppm and 3400ppm. But they say the FC is 19, and TC is 19, which is crazy. It's certainly high, because I can smell it. pH is 7.6, but CYA is 95ppm and total alkalinity (which is always low) is 45ppm - Leslies says that's adjusted due to the effect of CYA.

I'm going to call the pool service tomorrow and see what they have added, but this seems totally off. I've never seen anything like this. Can the Intellichlor malfunction and just over produce? I'm inclined to turn it off for a few days and hope we get a few downpours to dilute the water. Any bright ideas on what else to do to fix this?

Your SWCG output is based on the % setting and how long you run your pump. so you could just cut back on either of those to reduce output or if you wish set the SWCG to 0% and it is effectively OFF

That being said, your CYA of 100 is too high for a SWCG pool. Do you follow the FC/CYA Levels? It is very important to do so and with such a high CYA it is best you have a high FC level.

One other item - salt and other chemicals should not be randomly added with out testing first so you know the baseline. Ask your service tech if that was done as it can avoid overshooting your target.

I would recommend you invest in a good test kit see
Test Kits Compared

@HermanTX is politely giving the standard TFP advice to run away from Leslie's (and all pool store) water tests. They're often very incorrect and used as the basis to sell expensive potions that aren't needed or even do harm. Get the test kit including salt plus the stirrer. The peace of mind alone is worth the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX and Bperry
+2, stay ahead of it by not visiting the pool store to get @PoolStored . Heed the advice of the above link "test kits compared". It'll be the best money you can spend and then won't be subjected to the "add this and that ....." you buy the kit, you do your own testing and we will advise accordingly, that's a promise, best of luck.

Reactions: Bperry
I only use Leslies as a comparison. The pool service takes care of the pool since I'm only at the property on an intermittent basis. I'll track them down today and find out what's been going on. Still doesn't explain why the chlorinator is reporting so high.

I only use Leslies as a comparison. The pool service takes care of the pool since I'm only at the property on an intermittent basis. I'll track them down today and find out what's been going on. Still doesn't explain why the chlorinator is reporting so high.
If you are referring to the salt level reporting - we have seen most all SWCGs are erratic in reporting salt levels. That is why the recommendation is to use the Taylor K1766 salt test kit to monitor the salt level.

If you use the PoolMath there is a calculation available in it that you can input pump run time and % setting of your SWCG and it will give you the expected PPM output based on your specific SWCG model. Actually, it will calculate any 1 variable if you input the other 2. The PM app is very good and helps track data of pool tests and world of other features, etc. Well worth the $8 per year for the app.

Since you are only at the house on an intermittent basis, suggest you ask the pool service to provide you a report of what the chemical levels are and what chemicals they added.
Chlorine can only be increased if the SWCG settings are changed, pucks or shock are added to the pool.