very slight algae

wow, great article! Great for a new pool owner like me. read every post. Good to hear it worked out for you Lisa! That was quite the battle! Thanks to all who contributed. It really was an interesting story to follow.

I think I'm loosing the fight again. The pool hosted tested just finebfor the past week , I have kept my FC between 6,and 7. We have had buckets of rain and I keep testing to make sue my FC doesn't go down. well today we had sun forbthevfirstbtime in a while and I noticed the pool had lost a bit of it's sparkle....so I got my brush out and found.....algae! I get a very slight green cloud when I brush the bottom.

I finally beat it a week ago.....where did I go wrong this week? My FC was at 7 when I tested today.

I have been very vigilant with my chlorine levels...after such a frustrating battle the pool was looking better than ever before and I wanted it to stay that way because my Son and daughter in law were coming to Florida for a visit for the first time!!

They arrive tomorrow night ....

can heavy rain bring algae? Or do I still have it somewhere? I have cleaned everything...behind all light fixture, the skimmer , the filter, the only thing I have yet to try was the biofilm remover mentioned a couple of posts ago.

I'm so unhappy right now....

lisa

Rain can wash all kinds of stuff in. The good news is the shock process ought to go fast this time, you caught it early. Possibly a one day job. Stop posting and get some more bleach in there!

[center:1w19ods8]
file.php

Did that show up?[/center:1w19ods8]

Lisaheidinger said:
Can't shock until after my granddaughter goes home. What I would like to ,earn is what I did wrong. Why did I get Algae again if I kept my FC at above the recommended levels?

Lisa
[center:19s6gmrc]Poor circulation, maybe? I don't know. But kill it! Nip it in the bud. You can analyze later.

[youtube:19s6gmrc]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:19s6gmrc][/center:19s6gmrc]

I do have a question...previous owner replaced a bunch of my pool equipment with used stuff he had from some of his other properties...I do feel that my pump may not be working as we'll as it should and after reading a lot here it seems like my cartridge filter may be a little small for my size pool? could these thing be contributing to my ongoing fight?

Unless you have high volume water features, that pump is likely too big for your pool (and filter) and that the cartridge filter is too small for your pool. With that said, neither of those issues have anything to do with you having algae, in the end that is caused by too little chlorine for too long and will be fixed by the shocking process.

At some point if you do buy a new filter, we would recommend a minimum 300 sq. ft. cartridge for your 20000 gallon pool. For a pump, likely a 1 hp 2-speed would be a better fit...but we would need more details on your pool and plumbing.

Ok....back to the fight. Raised FC to 28ppm based on a cya of 70. ( lots of rain from tropical storm lowered my cya)

I was away all day....kept SWG running but didn't have a chance to add any bleach all day it was also very sunny for a change. Let the pump run all night with SWG also....this morning I was down to 15 ppm. Raised it again to 28.....I'm home all day so I can keep it there. Will try a OCLT test of night tonight.

Appearance of pool is good...clear and sparkly just a faint bit of green when I brush. hope to finally kick it this time. Although I am concerned...since I started the battle I have lowered the chlorine because of guest coming several time but I have NEVER gone below 7ppm.... And I did pass the OCLT test once, but now the algae is back. With all the constant rain in Florida......will I ever beat it? Or is keeping it at bay the best I can expect. I have gone through a LOT of bleach and test regents in the past 6 weeks.

Lisa

You can beat it, but you need to follow all the way through and make sure that your truly done with the three criteria simultaneously (again). Once you pass those criteria, but before dropping FC, it may make sense to raise the FC up to Mustard shocking levels for a day, then keep the FC at the higher end of normal for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok....three days of shocking and I have pased all 3 criteria of the OCLT.

Now.....how to keep the algae away? My cya is 70.... I have not let my FC drop below 7 for the past six weeks, yet the algae did come back after last pass of OCLT.

We do have heavy rain almost every afternoon here.....and I know that rain can introduce Crud...but if FC is on target or above it should keep the algae away right?

Lisa

Well after one week of a clean clear pool (also 5 days with no rain) I have found a slight bit of algae again when I brushed this morning. (two days after a huge downpour).

What do I have to do?

here are my numbers:

FC-7
CC-0
TA-80
PH-7.5
CYA- 70

I have very slowly brought the FC down from a week ago... I even did a OCLT half way through the week and it passed!

Now I have Algae again....What's next? I'm about ready to blow it up and fill it in! If I have to shock this pool every week it's not worth it to have a pool.

What else should I check? I'm really starting to believe that I have the wrong pump/filter set up. The guy that I bought the house from put in a bunch of "used" stuff that he had from another house...I'm sure it was random and not well thought out.

I'm now very worried because I'm leaving for a two week trip to Alaska on July 1st and I' afraid to leave my pool! I'm a PRISONER in my own home because of a stupid pool!

I really can't imagine living in Florida without a swimming pool...but I'm hardly getting to use it because I'm shocking it every other week!

Help!

Lisa

Lisaheidinger said:
Well after one week of a clean clear pool (also 5 days with no rain) I have found a slight bit of algae again when I brushed this morning. (two days after a huge downpour).

What do I have to do?

here are my numbers:

FC-7
CC-0
TA-80
PH-7.5
CYA- 70

I have very slowly brought the FC down from a week ago... I even did a OCLT half way through the week and it passed!

Now I have Algae again....What's next? I'm about ready to blow it up and fill it in! If I have to shock this pool every week it's not worth it to have a pool.

What else should I check? I'm really starting to believe that I have the wrong pump/filter set up. The guy that I bought the house from put in a bunch of "used" stuff that he had from another house...I'm sure it was random and not well thought out.

I'm now very worried because I'm leaving for a two week trip to Alaska on July 1st and I' afraid to leave my pool! I'm a PRISONER in my own home because of a stupid pool!

I really can't imagine living in Florida without a swimming pool...but I'm hardly getting to use it because I'm shocking it every other week!

Help!

Lisa

Sorry you are back with algae!

You can swim a shock level for your CYA, so you shouldn't be missing any swim time.

Post some pictures of your pool equipment and make/model/size etc.so it can be evaluated.

EDIT: i'm an idiot didn't even look at your sig lol. I see now where Richard brought up poor circulation. Have you thrown some ping pong balls in or something similar to see if you have good surface circulation? Do you have any spots on the bottom where dirt accumulates? How many returns do you have and how are the aimed?

I know everyone's says you can swim up-to shock level, but I don't want to...the smell of chlorine bothers me and at 28 ppm it really smells of chlorine. Also I'm really over dealing with liquid bleach...I have little white spots on clothes even though I have been Soooo careful when putting it in....today it splashed my face. ( I put bottle in water and it still got me!). The reason I wanted a swg was to get away from liquid chlorine.

I really need to find a solution...you guys say you have not had to shock for several years....why won't thatbwork for me? There has to be something.

It does appear to me that my filter is small compared to pump and pool size...I don't really have any spots in particular where dirt pools....I don't get a lot of debris because pool is under a screen...just dust.

Lisa

OK...working on the shock process again.

Help me with my circulation system:

Here is a photo of my set up:

I have 4 returns. One to the left of water fall (below the plant) one in the alcove to the right of water fall (right below the orange potted plant), one at the center of the deep end far right of photograph and one just to the left of the top step in foreground. I'm going to buy some ping pong balls to test surface circulation, but I can already tell you that toys and such get suck in the small alcove to the right of the water fall.

From reading the signatures of many other posters it appears that my 95sq. foot canister filter is very small...will this restrict the proper flow for circulation?

The photo of over all pool was taken yesterday. I have no "patches" of algae, just a faint green tinge when I brush the bottom of the pool.

I've got a week to figure out my next step before I leave on my vacation....I really don't want to come home to a green pool.

Lisa

Attachments

• pool pump system.jpg
    pool pump system.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 32
  • pool pump system 2.jpg
    pool pump system 2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 32
  • pool photo.jpg
    pool photo.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 32
Lisaheidinger said:
Should I have posted the last post in a different forum since it is a different question? I thought I should keep my posts together so the whole picture of my troubles can be seen.

Thanks

Lisa
What's the question? You've already figured out what to do about circulation.

A small filter will not remove the green stuff, neither will a giant filter - that's the job of chlorine. Brush and bleach. The brush removes the biofilm "scab" and lets the bleach get to the heart and kill the algae.

Yes...I understand that part.....3 times I have followed the shock process and passed the OCLT only to have algae return a week later ( first time....I stopped the process because of company but I returned to the fight when they left and passed the test.). So I'm asking for help with what else may be causing the algae to gain a hold again....someone mentioned poor circulation so I asked help in evaluating what I have to see if there is something here that needs to be fixed. since this battle started in May I have Not let my FC go below 7... Which is higher than recommended for my CYA....if that is not working then I need to explore what else I need to do.

If not circulation then what? even higher chlorine?

Lisa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.