very slight algae

No....I have not used solar cover at all since this started.... I didn't want to expose it to high chlorine and I wasn't swimming so I didn't need to keep it warm and I thought that warm water would only help the algae.

Yes....I'm stumped too. An tired of arguing with my husband....he wants me to quit and just see what it does. I'm starting to think that is what I should do.....see if the algae comes back and if it does then i will know it needs a much more drastic (mustard) shocking and by then I will have more testing stuff.

I have not talked to the pool store since I have started this. I never really listened to them in the past anyway.
I had a basic test kit at home and only had them test my water once a month.

Before i even found this site i used to use bleach anytime I needed to raise my chlorine.

I moved here just over 1 year ago....the first thing we did was resurface the pool. Then I had a persistant slight algae problem for several months.... before I found this site and learned the correlation between CYA and FC... I just used to raise my FC using bleach until it looked like algae was gone. Then i finally figured out that my SWG was not working. I replaced it at the end of summer and everything was great....and all winter pool was clear and beautiful. ( no swimming though because it was too cold) 2 weeks ago it was finally consistantly warm enough to want to swim and that is when the algae starting showing up and I decided to try the BBB.

I'm just stumped. I suppose you get let the FC drop to normal levels and see what happens. I had a thread like yours 3 years ago - he had an overnight loss for a month and we could never figure out why. He gave up and let it drop and just kept an eye on his min level and kept it above it. It ended up fine. Never did figure out why. But his losses were smaller, like 1 or 2 ppm. Your 8ppm loss overnight is very concerning - I just don't get it!

Just curious how your husband reacted/handled the persistent algae issue last summer after the resurfacing?

It would seem that then and recently your chlorine levels have not been consistent enough to prevent algae. Which could be the underlying cause of your issues. It took me most of last summer to dial in my SWG. Most of the time my chlorine levels were high, not shock level, but not where i wanted them (as low as possible while still being effective). It's not dialed in now and will take some time once my pool is consistently being swam in.

There is nothing worse than arguing over something like this with a spouse. It's not worth it really. As much as i want to see you win this battle and become confident in maintaining/trouble shooting/fixing your pool it may be best to stop and see what happens. If you keep chlorine levels up, which you can with daily testing, perhaps over time whatever it is you have will die off.

If it gets worse than you have an obvious reason to go through the shocking process again.

What does your husband want to happen,and how does he want it to happen?

My husband was not bothered by algae problem last summer....after all it's not his problem!

Once I replaced my SWG late in the summer I was running high on the chlorine while I tried to get it dialed in. Back then I didn't under stand the CYA/FC. But I was aiming for 5ppm FC...which was fine.....again it was fine all winter butnimmight have been t little behind thisnspringnin increasing pump run time and SWG percentage with the increased water temps.....thus I got Algae.

my husband thinks the algae is gone and I need to stop what I'm doing. He thinks the tests are wrong ( or I'm doing it wrong)

Your right....I'm going to quit arguing. I don't have enough test liquid to keep testing at high levels right now ( I've ordered more).

I'm going to let it come back down, get an accurate PH reading and start working on getting the TA down as well. We will see what happens....if the Algae comes back then the only good thing will be is that i get to say "I told you so"....then I will start the shock process again hopefully without any trouble from him.

I don't want the Algae to come back....but if it doesn't I'm afraid he will think he was right!!!!!! :brickwall:

Pool still looks great. My numbers this morning were
FC-9
Cc-0
Ph-7.8
Ch-280
TA-130
Cya-90

Put in muratic acid to lower PH
Brushed and found no algae

I must have been bad at testing.....

I'm happy to have my test kit to stay on top of it....I can only hope my testing gets more consistent with practice.

Thanks

If you are losing a lot of chlorine overnight, then clearly something is consuming it. You may have already done this, but I'd check everywhere the water has contact that isn't obvious including the skimmer, pump basket, fill line (usually has a cylindrical place that can get nasty) and your cartridge filter (which you could clean if it's not clean already). As a last resort, you could use a biofilm removal product (Ahh-Some or Aquafinesse, for example) in case there's something hidden in the pipes, but this seems doubtful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know it's not absolutely necessary but is there ever a role for algaecide? Prolonged shock with a persistent overnight drop maybe?

Lisaheidinger, how's your pool doing??

Pool still looks beautiful..but I'm definitely still concerned that I have not corrected my problem .....thought I saw a faint bit of green when brushing today.....not sure if I'm just expecting to see or am seeing it!!!! All my other numbers are right where they should be. It is challenging trying to find the proper setting on my SWG to keep my desired FC level as we are now in our Rainy season in Florida. We have had a couple of afternoons when we got several inches of rain. Pool is over full right now but it helped bring my CYA down a bit.

Can you do a OCC test when not shocking? I've been keeping my FC at 7... Have not done an overnight test.
Just test each day and adjust SWG as needed.

Lisa

savela said:
but is there ever a role for algaecide?
And for algae prevention when doing the Ascorbic Acid treatment for metal stains. Basically, you use it when you know the chlorine level is going to be zero. Note that it will not completely prevent algae growth in this situation, but it will significantly slow it down.

Lisaheidinger said:
Pool still looks beautiful..but I'm definitely still concerned that I have not corrected my problem .....thought I saw a faint bit of green when brushing today.....not sure if I'm just expecting to see or am seeing it!!!! All my other numbers are right where they should be. It is challenging trying to find the proper setting on my SWG to keep my desired FC level as we are now in our Rainy season in Florida. We have had a couple of afternoons when we got several inches of rain. Pool is over full right now but it helped bring my CYA down a bit.

Can you do a OCC test when not shocking? I've been keeping my FC at 7... Have not done an overnight test.
Just test each day and adjust SWG as needed.

Lisa

Lisa, have you been charting/keeping track of all your chemical additions, SWG adjustments, and pump run-time? I found last year that helped me dial in my SWG (it still took a long time).

Success! No loss of FC overnight for the OCLT !

I have finally beat the Algae.

This is what I think might have been the issue...please answer with your thoughts. After the great struggle....clear pool but repeated loss of FC overnight and visitors coming. I allowed the Chlorine to come back down but kept it just above the suggested target level. What I noticed while swimming with my guest was the grout lines in the tile just above the water line had green in them. I wasn't sure if this could be the problem because it was above the water line...so I got a scrub brush and gave everything a good scrub...it did not remove the green. Then last week our summer rainy season started!! INCHES of rain raised my pool water above the green ...after several days of exposure to chlorinated water the grout is CLEAN!

Could this have been the cause of my chlorine loss...even if is was just at or above the water line?

Anyway...I passed the OCLT test, no CC's and the water is crystal clear!!

Thanks for all the support, even when I was a pain in the A**. It's hard to stick to something when you doubt yourself when you don't have support!

Lisa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.