Variable pump speed during freeze

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is it OK to keep my hayward pump on low or should I put it on high during freezing temps? My pressure gage has been acting weird and I think I need to replace it. So, I'm nervous about keeping the pump on high.

A small thing to verify is check valves. I have one after the heater. When the bypass diverter valve is set midway for freezing weather, that valve stays closed until rpm is about 1400.
In the case you mention having a diverter valve for the heater with a check valve, I would bypass the heater altogether and turn the switch on the actuator to off and drain down the heater to keep one less piece of equipment in harms way especially if the heater is off.

Is it OK to keep my hayward pump on low or should I put it on high during freezing temps?
It's OK to keep on low, but I'd run mine on high. The faster the water moves, the colder it has to be to freeze. Niagara Falls has frozen once in known history and it was due to something blocking it upstream, reducing the flow.

The worst you guys will ever see is a week or two of cold and it won't break the bank to run high in an attempt of extra insurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.