Variable Pump Schedule Help!

sstauffer7

May 18, 2023
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey guys, I’m brand new to the forum and a fairly new pool owner. I’m in Queen Creek, AZ and as it’s starting to heat up I’m wondering how I can find the best schedule for running my VSP. With the schedule I’m running now, I can’t seem to get the algae under control. I’ve got everything cleaned out and cartridges just replaced and just trying to hone in the pump schedule.

My pool size is about 10k gallons and my current schedule is:
High Speed - 11pm-4am, 3,000rpm
Low Speed - 7am - 2pm, 1,800rpm

I know every pool is unique, but any help or examples of what schedule I can do would be awesome!

Welcome to TFP.
Please read Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and also view the videos that provide more details on specific topics TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Your pump schedule and how often you run the water through the filter has little to do with your pool having algae. The only thing to keep algae out of your pool is to have proper chlorination of the water. What is your Free Chlorine FC level? What do you use to chlorinate your pool? Is is trichlor pucks, or liquid chlorine or a saltwater chlorine generator?
Do you test your pool water yourself or do you rely on a pool store?

Maybe post a photo of your pool and your equipment pad so we can determine what you have and how we can help.

Reactions: sstauffer7
Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

Algae is not a pump schedule thing, it is a water chemistry thing.

Do you have test kit? If not order one NOW! Link-->Test Kits Compared

Read the following:
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
SLAM Process

You run your pump to filter, skim, mix chemicals, chlorinate, or heat. You should set your pump up to accomplish your goals with these parameters.

I’m wondering how I can find the best schedule for running my VSP. With the schedule I’m running now, I can’t seem to get the algae under control.

Welcome to TFP!

The key to algae control is chlorine -- specifically, the Free Chlorine / Cyanuric Acid ratio -- not pump speed.

Read more about pool care in general and the FC/CYA ratio in particular:

Pool School
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels

I know every pool is unique

Not exactly. All happy pools are alike; every unhappy pool is unhappy in its own way.

Unless you have an in floor cleaning system there is just never a reason to run at 3000 RPM.

The whole idea of a VS pump is to run it as slow as you can and still get the job done.

Algae is a chemical problem, not a pump or filter problem.

You are trying to feed the wrong end of the horse, and that won't do any thing but make the horse mad, and you dirty... :mrgreen:

We'd be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.

Plenty of people here that would love to help you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm close to you and I run mine 24/7 around 2000 cuz any lower and my swg gets angry. If I need quick major skim ( like after all the wind this week) I use my quick clean button set for 3000 for 2 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.