Valve actuator questions

Lummy

Dec 4, 2012
NorCal
I have one valve in my system. The valve is an old goldline gva-24. IT does not have a toggle switch that I can find. The way the valve is plumbed, water in comes in at the 180 degree, main outlet is at 270, and roof solar is at 0 degrees. I have it set for 90 degree turrn. If I lose power, the valve always turns counter clockwise on power up and closes off main, which is the opposite of what I want.
I have my automation switching the valve to correct position, but that can be upwards of 5 minutes before everything is reset correctly. IT also bugs the heck out of me that I have to put the relay into ON position for the switch to be "off". Is there anyway to make the valve turn clockwise for default instead?

L,

Are you sure there is no 3-way toggle switch???

Automation systems have no clue what position the actuator is in. That is the whole purpose of the switch. If the actuator is the opposite of where is should be, you move the switch to the other 'on' position and that moves the actuator to the other end of travel.

Without the switch, you'd have rewire the 3-pin power cable.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah, I'm absolutely positive. I have the 3 wires coming in but no switch. The wiring inside looks correct based on the schematics I've seen if you take out the toggle. It might be simpler just to by a newer actuator

Yeah, I'm absolutely positive. I have the 3 wires coming in but no switch. The wiring inside looks correct based on the schematics I've seen if you take out the toggle. It might be simpler just to by a newer actuator
Would you be willing to humor us and send a photo of the back of the actuator? I too have never seen nor heard of one without the switch.

FWIW, Intermatic makes a pretty affordable actuator if you want to replace it.

Reactions: HermanTX
3-p1180214.jpg

1675720436756.png
1675720528590.png

Part of the mystery is solved. I took the old actuator off and the top cover is a gold line GVA-24 but the actual hardware is an older Jandy JVA2440 without the toggle switch. I bought a tork TPE24va to replace it. Now I just have to figure out the cams ;)

Part of the mystery is solved. I took the old actuator off and the top cover is a gold line GVA-24 but the actual hardware is an older Jandy JVA2440 without the toggle switch. I bought a tork TPE24va to replace it. Now I just have to figure out the cams ;)
You've got my curiosity piqued and I'd be really interested to see it. We have retro 2440s on an account in Bloomington but they have the toggles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't look like it was ever there.
FWIW. there's an auction on ebay for a 2440 without toggle so they MUST have made them at some point
Sorry @Lummy

We don't mean to seem like we doubt you. You'll have to forgive us; we feel like we're looking at a unicorn and don't know if we should slap ourselves awake.

Actuators are very basic devices so without the toggle, you'd have no way to determine which direction you want the motor to spin in a given state. The automation relies on the toggle to define its rotational behavior for each mode.

We're just trying to wrap our heads around why this device would ever exist without it.

Last edited:
There's no hole or cap in the back?

Do you have the original instruction manual to see if it shows how to reverse the rotation?

Maybe you originally had to change the wires?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.