Vacuum hose stuck in skimmer hole

One thing for sure, don't damage the skimmer hole trying to push or pry. If all else fails, it's better to cut the hose then use something to get a grip and twist it out. You can always buy a new hose or replace the cuff end, but the skimmer you don't want to damage.idea if it’s more likely to come loose with water in the skimmer or without? I’m thinking about lowering the water level just below the skimmer and draining the
Must be tough to get a grip in such a tight spot and not damage anything. I wonder if you could get a small strap wrnch in there? Wrap it at an angle with enough grip on the cuff or hose to help twist it loose?

View attachment 524946
Comedy of errors. The saga continues. Looks like it was sucked all the way down. I thought there would be a piece to latch onto on the cuff. Please see the attached picture. Question: does that octagon shaped plastic head unscrew?

EE25B56F-01A5-477C-A81F-7C8D3D64DA38.jpeg

The recommendation from @Mdragger88 in Post #12 is starting to look more attractive. Cut the hose as low as you can then CAREFULLY make a couple cuts on the inside of the cuff with a hacksaw blade, being very careful to not cut past the cuff into the plumbing line. Once you cut/score the cuff, it "should" start to weaken and give some relief for removal.

The only other thing I can think of, and it's a longshot, would be cutting the hose and leaving enough room to fold it over or clamp it shut. Then use a pressure bladder to push water backwards from the pump to the skimmer in hopes that the backpressure and physical actions will help it dislodge.

The recommendation from @Mdragger88 in Post #12 is starting to look more attractive. Cut the hose as low as you can then CAREFULLY make a couple cuts on the inside of the cuff with a hacksaw blade, being very careful to not cut past the cuff into the plumbing line. Once you cut/score the cuff, it "should" start to weaken and give some relief for removal.

The only other thing I can think of, and it's a longshot, would be cutting the hose and leaving enough room to fold it over or clamp it shut. Then use a pressure bladder to push water backwards from the pump to the skimmer in hopes that the backpressure and physical actions will help it dislodge.
I’m worried that I will lose anything to actually hold on to to pull it out if I cut it.

When I finally give in and cut it, any recs on the best way to cut the hose close to the skimmer hole?
Probably going to have to get creative. Use a combination of things. Cut the hose at decking level, but then as mentioned earlier, make 1 or 2 vertical cuts to try and spread the hose apart. If you can do that, then you might be able to cut them closer to the skimmer hole. Maybe even use some diagonal wire cutters to snip the hose away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My blue hose that I used to vacuum my pool is stuck in the skimmer hole and will not come out. I have tried everything, including dumping bags of ice in the skimmer to lower the temperature to contract the hose, pulling with all of my mite, twisting, etc. Any ideas?
I suspect what you've got is a 90-deg ell right out the bottom of the skimmer. When you pull on the hose, it kinks right there, it's a sharp 90. The kink is wider than the bore of the pipe, so you're locked in. Do you have any idea how much hose might be down the pipe? If it's just a foot or so, you might be able to bend a stiff band of metal into a "C" shape and poke it down into the bore, over the kink, to push the kink down (hopefully to release it for a bit), then by applying push-on-C and pull-on-hose repeatedly get it to inch your way out.
But if your hose has the larger rubber fitting still on the end, then you're in deep water here. It would take some temporary repiping, but by reversing the flow direction - hook up your pump to blow the hose out - running the pump at full power should clear the line. That should also open the kink, but you may have to try closing/opening the other end of hose to see what works best. Hint: do your repipe with threaded fittings so it's easier to fit and replace.
I don't think you'll get anywhere by pulling, unless the spiral of the hose begins stripping out. Then, all the hose down the pipe should 'unravel' until it gets to the very end, which should slip out easily. Unless the formed rubber connector is down the pipe too. If that's what you got, you'll need a pool service contractor who knows what he's doing - not just a vacuum guy. Some of them do know a few things but they feed on less-experienced pool owners by overcharging on repairs - so watch for that. A contractor has all the equipment and experience, so likely will be more straight with you. And get it done without damaging your system.

Reactions: Esl3
I suspect what you've got is a 90-deg ell right out the bottom of the skimmer. When you pull on the hose, it kinks right there, it's a sharp 90. The kink is wider than the bore of the pipe, so you're locked in. Do you have any idea how much hose might be down the pipe? If it's just a foot or so, you might be able to bend a stiff band of metal into a "C" shape and poke it down into the bore, over the kink, to push the kink down (hopefully to release it for a bit), then by applying push-on-C and pull-on-hose repeatedly get it to inch your way out.
But if your hose has the larger rubber fitting still on the end, then you're in deep water here. It would take some temporary repiping, but by reversing the flow direction - hook up your pump to blow the hose out - running the pump at full power should clear the line. That should also open the kink, but you may have to try closing/opening the other end of hose to see what works best. Hint: do your repipe with threaded fittings so it's easier to fit and replace.
I don't think you'll get anywhere by pulling, unless the spiral of the hose begins stripping out. Then, all the hose down the pipe should 'unravel' until it gets to the very end, which should slip out easily. Unless the formed rubber connector is down the pipe too. If that's what you got, you'll need a pool service contractor who knows what he's doing - not just a vacuum guy. Some of them do know a few things but they feed on less-experienced pool owners by overcharging on repairs - so watch for that. A contractor has all the equipment and experience, so likely will be more straight with you. And get it done without damaging your system.
Thank you. I don’t think the hose is more than an inch below where it normally was when I vacuum the pool. When I pushed it in I definitely didn’t feel any give, meaning more of the hose went down the pipe than usual. It does look like it’s at a slight angle in the opening of the skimmer hole at the bottom, probably in the direction of the pipe/lip where it’s stuck. Do you recommend cutting it and trying to saw the cuff so it loosens up? I’m at the store looking at hacksaws now.

Not sure if it's too late or if this is an option for you there, but the links below are examples of a hook tool. Whether you bought one or were able to make one, inserting the hook down past the lip of the cuff then pulling upwards might be just the leverage you need to get the cuff moving.

Not sure if it's too late or if this is an option for you there, but the links below are examples of a hook tool. Whether you bought one or were able to make one, inserting the hook down past the lip of the cuff then pulling upwards might be just the leverage you need to get the cuff moving.

Thanks. It looks like there might already be a tear from me pulling on it near the hole. See pic. I will keep pulling until it gives and then use my hacksaw to cut the cuff.

After trying all sorts of things (cutting, twisting, etc), I finally got it out by taking a long rod with a pointed end and jamming it down on the side that was under the lip inside the hole and then pulling in the opposite direction. It started to give and finally straightened out. A couple more good tugs and it was free. I lost a pound or two in the 100 degree heat and gained some new tools (eg; 16 inch needle nose pliers) that I will never use again. What an absolute pain and relief. I appreciate everyone’s input. Peace.

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

After trying all sorts of things (cutting, twisting, etc), I finally got it out by taking a long rod with a pointed end and jamming it down on the side that was under the lip inside the hole and then pulling in the opposite direction. It started to give and finally straightened out. A couple more good tugs and it was free. I lost a pound or two in the 100 degree heat and gained some new tools (eg; 16 inch needle nose pliers) that I will never use again. What an absolute pain and relief. I appreciate everyone’s input. Peace.
Victory!!! & I thought the big rock 🪨 in the skimmer was the weirdest thing I’ve seen but you just never know here at tfp 😂
I bought those exact needle nose pliers I posted for 1 job (fishing the broken rod for my ignition out of my steering column/dash which saved me hundreds of dollars) but you wouldn’t believe how handy they have become over the years!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.