Vacuum hose stuck in skimmer hole

Esl3

Aug 24, 2023
Austin
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
My blue hose that I used to vacuum my pool is stuck in the skimmer hole and will not come out. I have tried everything, including dumping bags of ice in the skimmer to lower the temperature to contract the hose, pulling with all of my mite, twisting, etc. Any ideas?

Reactions: beeswax
Have any pictures to post? That may help people get a better look at what you have, and help them offer a solution.

Hi. Responding to my own post again. I’m going to try some extra long needle nose pliers. Hopefully I can get a grip on the insert and wiggle it loose. The problem is I need to lay flat on the pool patio in order to reach all the way down even with 16 inch needle nose pliers. Also the water is cloudy so I can’t see what I’m doing. I still welcome some feedback from others if they have had the same issue. Again, my skimmer hole is 3 1/2 feet down so it’s not easily accessible.

3.5 feet? :scratch: Now I really want to see a pic. Ha. The white "Cuff" should be partially exposed above the skimmer hole. Did the cuff actually get pushed or sucked all the way in? Not sure needle nose pliers will do it. Maybe some extra large channel lock pliers or perhaps a small strap wrench if you still have access to the white cuff end.

3.5 feet? :scratch: Now I really want to see a pic. Ha. The white "Cuff" should be partially exposed above the skimmer hole. Did the cuff actually get pushed or sucked all the way in? Not sure needle nose pliers will do it. Maybe some extra large channel lock pliers or perhaps a small strap wrench if you still have access to the white cuff end.
Thank you. See pic. While I can’t see the bottom of the skimmer since it’s cloudy, I’m pretty sure there is no way the wider part of the cuff would go all of the way in.

Attachments

• 2343E7F1-21BB-40F3-B472-64DE6A730A93.jpeg
    2343E7F1-21BB-40F3-B472-64DE6A730A93.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 29

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is of no help now but - Once you get it out you should invest in a vacuum plate.
You may need to sacrifice this hose, cut it off & then use a saw to carefully cut the cuff in a couple spots vertically without going completely through & damaging the pipe with a saw like this
IMG_7471.jpeg
then get some of those really long needle nose pliers
IMG_7470.jpeg
and pull the pieces out carefully without dropping them in the pipe.

Reactions: Esl3 and Newdude
One thing for sure, don't damage the skimmer hole trying to push or pry. If all else fails, it's better to cut the hose then use something to get a grip and twist it out. You can always buy a new hose or replace the cuff end, but the skimmer you don't want to damage.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Before you get too far with it after cutting the hose perhaps you should put a rag in the hole tied to a string & secured somewhere so it can catch anything you drop & it also will be retrievable if it falls.
All of these suggestions should be done with the pump locked off of course.

Reactions: Esl3
3.5 feet? :scratch: Now I really want to see a pic. Ha. The white "Cuff" should be partially exposed above the skimmer hole. Did the cuff actually get pushed or sucked all the way in? Not sure needle nose pliers will do it. Maybe some extra large channel lock pliers or perhaps a small strap wrench if you still have access to the
One thing for sure, don't damage the skimmer hole trying to push or pry. If all else fails, it's better to cut the hose then use something to get a grip and twist it out. You can always buy a new hose or replace the cuff end, but the skimmer you don't want to damage.
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I’m not sure how to cut the hose close enough to the cuff to use a small saw as sugges
This is of no help now but - Once you get it out you should invest in a vacuum plate.
You may need to sacrifice this hose, cut it off & then use a saw to carefully cut the cuff in a couple spots vertically without going completely through & damaging the pipe with a saw like this
View attachment 524948
then get some of those really long needle nose pliers
View attachment 524949
and pull the pieces out carefully without dropping them in the pipe.
Thank you. I’m not sure how to cut the hose close enough to the cuff to use a small saw. What a pain. I agree with the skimmer plate, but it hasn’t worked well for vacuuming in the past. Maybe it’s not the right size for the skimmer diameter, but won’t hold a strong suction.

If you get to the point where you are sure the hose will be a loss and get cut/damaged, you might consider clamping some long-nosed vice grips on the hose as close to the skimmer as you can. Clamp then try and twist either way to try and get some movement.

CaptureVice.JPG

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Esl3
Cut the hose higher up and then cut vertically down the hose to the cuff opening it up on two slits opposite each other You should then be able to peel the hose enough to get a utility blade or such at the cuff. If you can get linesmen or channel locks on the cuff itself you may be able to rotate and pull.

Just a thought

Cut the hose higher up and then cut vertically down the hose to the cuff opening it up on two slits opposite each other You should then be able to peel the hose enough to get a utility blade or such at the cuff. If you can get linesmen or channel locks on the cuff itself you may be able to rotate and pull.

Just a thought
Thank you. I will try long needle nose pliers first in hopes of getting a grip at the top of the cuff to wiggle it loose. See pic.

Attachments

• FE43F40C-8547-4E32-BCEA-50B1F264041D.jpeg
    FE43F40C-8547-4E32-BCEA-50B1F264041D.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.