UV systems prevent algae growth?

A robot will help scrub the floor and walls if they aren't being brushed. Other than that, the vacuum should be fine and a robot will do nothing to prevent a pool from turning green as Tim said.

Look into the Pool Pilot Professional by AutoPilot. It will integrate with ORP and might be the solution you are looking for.

Got the CYA down to 60 today. Chlorine is still so high, it woudln't register on my Palintest. I'll backwash til it comes down to 10ppm. I don't want to use chlorine neutralizer. Health department is still on vacation, so no worries about testing too high and getting shut down.

Use your Taylor 2006 fas dpd test to see where your FC is under 20.

I had higher than normal FC usage and a robot fixed that due to what I believe is a much better scrubbed floor. Once you go robot you don't go back.

I meant acid wash of the swg cell due to buildup.

Got the CYA down to 60 today. Chlorine is still so high, it woudln't register on my Palintest. I'll backwash til it comes down to 10ppm. I don't want to use chlorine neutralizer. Health department is still on vacation, so no worries about testing too high and getting shut down.

What we do, with the spa I help manage, we will voluntarily close it, when things are off. Once everything is good, we reopen. If the health inspector comes during such a closed period, they will make a note and come back in a few days. If we don't do this, and the inspector comes, they can close it, and then we have to wait for them to okay it, to reopen. We know we are not at the top of their priority list.

While the pool rarely turns green, I still want to make sure that it never happens. Low CYA (around 40 or less) and higher than 5 FC is my target range and we'll see if this takes care of the issue. If that doesn't do it, I'll do more research on SWCG.

While the pool rarely turns green, I still want to make sure that it never happens. Low CYA (around 40 or less) and higher than 5 FC is my target range and we'll see if this takes care of the issue. If that doesn't do it, I'll do more research on SWCG.

I would say you should target FC of 7 rather then 5.

Yeah, I'll make 5 my minimum. The health department wants FC beween 2 and 5. When it goes over or goes under, they write you up, but I don't care about that. They don't shut you down until you go over 20ppm.

I didn't realize you were so boxed in by your health department. Earlier you said:

CYA can't be over 99 and FC can't go over 20 PPM. pH has to be between 7.2-7.8, TA can't go below 80 or over 120. That's the local regulations.

I think you need to target FC of 5 if you can keep your CYA at 20. Or FC at 7 is your CYA gets to 40. You have to play the CYA/FC relationship as shown on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] And for your commercial pool with higher bather loads and unknown contaminants you need to stay at the upper end of the FC range on the chart.

The chemistry is the same for everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water replacement or RO are the only way to reduce cya, RO is expensive and still needs water replacement as well

You really really need a sustainable clorine source

Start using bleach

Using bleach is impractical in a commercial pool at a hotel like being discussed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.