Using the TF-100 reagents to test the potency of deeply discounted Chlorine

plnewb

Aug 17, 2023
SoCal
Grocery stores around me here often put 10% Chlorine on deeply discounted sale ($2/2Gal). The date stamps are a month in 2023 with a number after it, which I assume to be number of days from 1st Jan and not a hour/time?

For example: If the number is 180, that means the Chlorine was manufactured on 1st June?

If I was to purchase these, is there a way to use the TF-100 to test the potency of this deeply discounted Chlorine?

Determining % of Liquid Chlorine​

Taylor has a K-1579 Chlorine Test Kit. The K-1579 is an iodine/starch titration with a distinct endpoint signaled by a color change in the test solution from blue to colorless. Note: Other oxidizers in the test sample such as bromine or ozone will cause positive interference.

-or-

To test the % of sodium hypochlorite in liquid chlorine:

1. Add 1mL of the LC to 100mL of distilled water.
  2. Swirl to mix.
  3. Add 1mL of the resulting mixture to 100mL of fresh distilled water.
  4. Swirl to mix.
  5. Use the DPD-FAS titration to get the resulting ppm’s of FC. The number of ppm’s is roughly equivalent to the bleach percentage.
Use distilled water only and do the test immediately. There’s no need to do extensive mixing.

The proper way to make a dilution is to use a well calibrated flask, fill it 2/3rds with distilled water, add the volume of chemical you are diluting and then fill the flask up to mark with distilled water. Then swirl for 30secs or so to mix. Erlenmeyer flasks are the appropriate glassware for the task.

• Love
Reactions: plnewb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.