Using tablets some to reduce my work load

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I know this forum is generally against chlorinating tabs but in the summer I have to add bleach every other day or more, even if I have my cya up. I am thinking about getting some chlorinating tabs and using a floater or two so I dont have to add liquid chlorine all the time.

Can I mix the tabs with the liquid to reduce my workload or is there some issue with that?

Thanks for any help.

I suspect if you properly test your FC every day, you will find the tablets will not maintain your FC level as required.

Tag,

We are not against tablets, we are just against throwing them in and never doing anything else.. As long as you continue to routinely test and monitor you CYA, using tablets is just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Andrew_D
ok, do you think it will allow me to move more to a schedule of adding liquid bleach 2 to 3 times a week or is that too much to ask. In the summer i try to check chlorine and PH every day so I will notice if it is not working well.

mknauss, when you say it adds acid, is that like Muriatic Acid ie. it will lower the PH?

What about a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG)? Initial cost is high, but essentially works out to about the same as liquid chlorine (roughly) over the life of the unit. Depending on use, can completely eliminate adding chlorine manually.

do you think it will allow me to move more to a schedule of adding liquid bleach 2 to 3 times a week
They might. You will have to test. Most pools using pucks never maintain the FC/CYA Levels and thus develop algae.

mknauss, when you say it adds acid, is that like Muriatic Acid ie. it will lower the PH?
Yes. Trichlor (tabs/pucks) are Cyanuric Acid with chlorine attached. Very concentrated. So the pucks will lower your pH. It can be catastrophic - see Featured - Chemical Disaster -

Thanks mknauss, I am usually on the higher end of the ph spectrum but I do know that low ph can cause a lot of problems. I may just get a small bucket and try it for a month and monitor it every day to see what kind of effect it has.

jseyfert3, I have been thinking about a saltwater chlorine generator. One of my friends said he switched back to chlorine because the saltwater was too hard on his deck and equipment. However, I have heard that it is not too much worse. Have you had any experience with it being more corrosive?

One of my friends said he switched back to chlorine because the saltwater was too hard on his deck and equipment.
Saltwater had nothing to do with that. Low quality materials (typically flagstone) are subject to erosion from any moisture. All pool equipment today is rated for the low level salinity a SWCG uses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks, mknauss, my wife wants to switch for what she cites as health reasons. I want to switch so I can stop adding bleach every day. I have gone so far as trying a modified drip feeder where I punch a hole in a bottle of bleach. Alas, cant really gauge well how much it feeds so it is kind of a waste.

A SWCG is the easiest way to add chlorine to your pool on a daily basis. It still requires frequent testing and chemistry management. Many people that had a SWCG installed were improperly told by the sales people that it was 'maintenance free'. So wrong. But, it is easier.

Yes, I have no problem testing and maintaining. The main reason I want to stop adding bleach is that I have ruined 10 shirts and 4 pairs of pants. Well maybe not ruined but I will be late to work and realize i need to add bleach so I go out there and go as slow and careful as I can and later notice 4 or 5 tiny bleach spots on my pants or shirt. So I don't mind the testing and maintenance, I just want to be able to stop pouring jugs of bleach and ruining my clothes.

I ruined my jeans so i hear you :). Those were older jeans so now they're my landscaping/adding bleach jeans. Nothing to add to this thread but I thought i'd share my woes.

It seems to me regular use of pucks creates more work, not less, since CYA/FC become a constantly moving target (pucks add CYA > so more FC needed > so add more pucks to raise FC > but now CYA is higher so need more FC > and on and on and on). IMO, much easier to maintain FC and CYA separately.

If looking to reduce manually adding FC, a SWCG or Stenner pump is a better solution IMHO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.