Using regular LED bulb for pool light

I thought the same thing but ended up getting a real pool bulb for $12 on amazon. I did test a spotlight and LED which both worked but neither was close to bright enough. The pool bulb is over 2000 lumens.

I just scored a multi-color LED on sale for $80 that I will try next. It was also noted at least on my light that the seal needed to be replaced every time the bulb is changed. At least they say that....

^this...way to go Tim! Please provide us an update when you made the switch to LED.

@OP, any 120VAC LED bulb should work. Just make sure it will fit your existing light fixture. Also, it is a MUST to replace the gasket every time you open the fixture and/or replacing the bulb.

Didn't notice our light in the Spa has a bit of water in it until the water was drained. Apparently, the GFCI safety feature failed and Test button is deemed inoperative! But then again, I can't recall the last time we turned on the lights. Further inspection yields a very stiff cable and seems brittle due to ageing. So I replaced the light fixture and decided to go with 12VAC color changing LED's, since I have a Malibu 300 watts stepdown x'former.

EDIT: If in doubt, INYOPools will steer you in the right direction. Thank you Patrick :cheers:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.