Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My local pool store sells BioGuard products, so for now, that’s what I am using.

I tried using the Pool Math app, but for something like Ph level, the amount of Ph Raiser I need to use is way off from what my water sample showed.

I was at 7.2 and wanted to raise it to 7.6. The water sample from the store showed to put 2 lbs of Ph Raiser, but the app showed 9.8 oz. Seems way off.

Also, what do I select Borax or Soda Ash/Washing Soda?

18,500 gallon in-ground pool.

Welcome to TFP.

BioGuard Balance Pak® 200 is designed to increase the pH of your pool or spa water. 100% sodium carbonate, soda ash.

That said. Any pH in the 7s is equally good. No reason to raise your pH from 7.2.

What is your TA?

What test kit do you use?

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Mdragger88
My local pool store sells BioGuard products, so for now, that’s what I am using.

I tried using the Pool Math app, but for something like Ph level, the amount of Ph Raiser I need to use is way off from what my water sample showed.

I was at 7.2 and wanted to raise it to 7.6. The water sample from the store showed to put 2 lbs of Ph Raiser, but the app showed 9.8 oz. Seems way off.

Also, what do I select Borax or Soda Ash/Washing Soda?

18,500 gallon in-ground pool.
Welcome to TFP!! :swim:

I'm assuming that you are using Biogard 200 to increase your pH. That is 100% sodium carbonate according to the SDS. Sodium carbonate is soda ash. It will raise the pH and raise the TA a lot.

What chemical are you putting into Pool Math to get an answer of 9.8? Adding 9.8oz of Soda Ash will raise pH by .1 and TA by 3.7.

I would recommend that you not add anything for your pH. Any pH in the 7s is fine, and it will raise over time naturally.

I would also recommend that you not use the pool store results to manage your water, and that you get a test kit. Following pool store testing which are notoriously wrong and inconsistent can lead to adding chemicals you don't need, or can do damage. Great link to recommended test kits --->Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP. For what it's worth, most BioGuard products are ludicrously overpriced for what you get, and/or detrimental to your water chemistry (e.g. their SmartShock which has copper). Their pH increaser is just soda ash, which is fine, but again, the Bioguard stuff is expensive. Unless something is enormously out of whack, though, you probably don't need soda ash.

What is your current pH and TA?

x3 on How are you currently testing?

My TA is low - 98. The sheet from the store said to add 15.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 (divided in thirds every six hours).

My pH was actually 6.9 , not 7.2, that’s my mistake.

What I’m hoping to eventually get to is to be able to test my water, check the levels, and then read the instructions on the chemicals on how much to put in my pool.

From my understanding, TA needs to be balanced before pH. How does one learn that, just from experience?

I just used the BioGuard test strips. The reason I took a water sample to my store was it was showing my chlorine was higher than normal.

My TA is low - 98. The sheet from the store said to add 15.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 (divided in thirds every six hours).
My pH was actually 6.9 , not 7.2, that’s my mistake.
What I’m hoping to eventually get to is to be able to test my water, check the levels, and then read the instructions on the chemicals on how much to put in my pool.
From my understanding, TA needs to be balanced before pH. How does one learn that, just from experience?
I just used the BioGuard test strips. The reason I took a water sample to my store was it was showing my chlorine was higher than normal.
You really need to get a good test kit. We don't, as a rule, give recommendations on pool store testing or test strip results.

Why? We have found pool store and other test kits do not give accurate and consistent results.
Really? How do you know that? Literally 10s of thousands of pool owners that have come here, only to find out pool store tests results and recommendations were wrong or unnecessary. Ask me why I am PoolStored. :ROFLMAO:
So what? Maybe it will be close enough...Well, maybe, and maybe not. We could actually give you advice, based on inaccurate testing, that will make your situation worse, or tell you to do something you don't actually need to do. Last thing we EVER want to do is to give advice that does HARM to our members or their pools. We got a reputation to uphold! ;)

We can help you use BioGuard products, even if we don't endorse them and there are cheaper alternatives. (For example you can use Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda = Soda Ash, and it is $4 at Walmart). 1659832921064.png

I would encourage you to get a good test kit and stick around. In the long run, I have save $1000s and reduced my pool maintenance time an enormous amount.

TA of 100 is not low. TA can go down to 60 and be ok.

TA of 100 is the least important chemical. Depending on your type of pool we may recommend you keep the pH in the 7s and let the TA be whatever it wants.

You need to get your own test kit. Start by following the links in Pool Care Basics

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so first, PLEASE take the tabs out of the skimmer. They are highly acidic and can harm the skimmer and your equipment which is receiving the acidic water. If you are going to use tablets, put them in a floater.

Second, understand that tablets add CYA to your water. At some point your CYA will be high enough that you cannot maintain enough Free Chlorine to sanitize your pool. I would posit a large percentage of pool owners that end up here do so because their CYA get high and they wound up with Algae. I'd recommend thinking about switching to Liquid Chlorine or Salt Water Chlorine Generator. BUT, that is a discussion for another day. It may be that your CYA is not that high yet, a test kit will tell you that.

Here is my recommendation:

TF-100 Pro with SmartStir. Uncheck the Salt Test strips and pH meter options, you don't need them.

Ok, so first, PLEASE take the tabs out of the skimmer. They are highly acidic and can harm the skimmer and your equipment which is receiving the acidic water. If you are going to use tablets, put them in a floater.

Second, understand that tablets add CYA to your water. At some point your CYA will be high enough that you cannot maintain enough Free Chlorine to sanitize your pool. I would posit a large percentage of pool owners that end up here do so because their CYA get high and they wound up with Algae. I'd recommend thinking about switching to Liquid Chlorine or Salt Water Chlorine Generator. BUT, that is a discussion for another day. It may be that your CYA is not that high yet, a test kit will tell you that.

Here is my recommendation:

TF-100 Pro with SmartStir. Uncheck the Salt Test strips and pH meter options, you don't need them.

Appreciate it. I am hoping next year to get an automated chlorinator in-line. My CYA is 75, but my optimizer is getting high at 80.

Reactions: PoolStored
Appreciate it. I am hoping next year to get an automated chlorinator in-line.

Why not get a SWCG?

My CYA is 75, but my optimizer is getting high at 80.

CYA of 75-80 is getting on the high side. We recommend a CYA of 30-40 unless you are using a SWG.

Your tablets are adding CYA with every tablet you are are using. Getting your CYA much higher will lead to problems. You really should begin chlorinating using liquid chlorine which does not add CYA or acid.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfwnoob
You really should stop using these. Apart from driving up your CYA, they also contain copper, which will eventually lead to staining on your pool surfaces.

Screenshot_20220807-221616-145.png

• Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
Wowser. From Bioguard's blurb:

Screenshot_20220807-222458-633.png

How can an acidic product (Trichlor) that contains copper protect against corrosion and metal staining?

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

That pro kit seems to be a bit much for me — I am only one my first month of pool ownership. Would you recommend the other one on the list you sent?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.