URGENT: Pump / filter size question

Graul95

Jun 17, 2020
Ohio
Hi all,

This is my first post here so apologies for the urgency but I need to get back to my builder by end of the day on this question.

I have a fiberglass pool install scheduled in 3 weeks and I'm nailing down the details of the equipment. The pool is the Latham Monaco, 16'x40', 21K gallons. The pump we've chosen is the Pentair Intelliflo VSF (011056), with Pentair IC40 chlorinator, and our builder is recommending the Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge filter, model CC150 (pn 160317). The filter manual says this filter is appropriate for a max flow rate of 150gpm, which seems ok when looking at the pump performance curve, but I saw some other online resources and calculators saying a 150sf filter is appropriate for pools only up to 14K gallons and I need a filter 300+sf for this size pump and pool. Could someone please let me know if a 150sf filter is ok with my setup? If I do go with the 150sf filter and it's undersized are there any downsides other than just needing to clean it more often?

Thanks

You can never to too big on a cartridge filter.. I have the CCP-520 and my pool is only 17K gallons.. The bigger the filter the less often you will have to clean it..

I would buy the biggest filter your can fit into your budget.

That said, don't worry about the size of the pump.. It is 3 HP max... If you are like most people with a VS pump, it will be running at less than a 1/4 HP most of the time.. a great choice in pumps by the way..

Thanks,

Jim R.

So after telling the builder we want the CC200 he's saying he'll do it but that oversizing the filter like this "could cause airflow or cavitation issues" and he needs us to be aware of that for liability purposes. Does this make sense to anyone? From what I've read it's not uncommon to place a much larger filter than 200sf in this setup so why would this cause problems?

In fact, the 200 sf filter is tiny for your pool. But up to you. I have a 240 sf filter for 1/3 the size pool as yours.

Reactions: newdude
So after telling the builder we want the CC200 he's saying he'll do it but that oversizing the filter like this "could cause airflow or cavitation issues" and he needs us to be aware of that for liability purposes. Does this make sense to anyone?
It doesn't make any sense at all. I would go with the 420 square foot cartridge filter.

Make sure that the suction lines are sized correctly. At least 2" from each skimmer to the equipment pad. Don't tie together underground.

How many skimmers?

Will you have a main drain?

Are you going to have a heater or automation?

Are you going to have any water features?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Maddie. I submitted a question to Pentair's website asking if they have any recommendation for a filter for my setup. Will update here if they weigh in.

James, I'll have only one skimmer, no main drains, no heater, and no water features. Thanks for the tip on sizing the lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.