**Update** Pressure test passing due to pipes running underneath home?

penquinizer

Jan 10, 2023
Dallas
Hi all!

**Update**
The leak I had in my pool is still persisting.

We've had 2 different companies come out to check for the leak.
- 1st one found no structural leak and said the return pipes held pressure.
- 2nd one found no structural leak and said they found a small leak in the return pipes. However, when they came back out a few weeks later, the leak was gone and the pipes held pressure. They did find a small structural leak the third time they came out but the bucket test is still showing a return pipe leak.

My question here is that our pool is in a unique spot that required the piping to run underneath a portion of the home. (I do not know how deep the pipes are buried.) With the pipping in these areas, could it potentially affect the pressure test results as there is a whole home on top vs the usual lawn/backyard it's buried under?

**Previous**

While I wait for a new leak detection company to come out and check out where the leak is in my pool, I noticed something strange with the bucket test.

I left the pump off for about 24hrs and noticed barely any leakage from the marks (Green arrow). However, over the past 12-13hrs it seems to have significantly lost water (Blue arrow).

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I am also totally open to this potentially being human error, but the levels seem significant enough to not be considering the timeframe.

Attachments

• PXL_20230224_173555633_2.jpeg
    PXL_20230224_173555633_2.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Any big differences in weather conditions and wind?

Looks like temperature dipped down to 25F during blue line time.

Hi TFP!

The leak I had in my pool is still persisting.

We've had 2 different companies come out to check for the leak.
- 1st one found no structural leak and said return pipes held pressure.
- 2nd one found no structural leak and said they found a small leak in the return pipes. However, when they came back out a few weeks later, the leak was gone and the pipes held pressure. They did find a small structural leak the third time they came out but the bucket test is still showing a return pipe leak.

My question here is that our pool is in a unique spot that required the pipping to run underneath a portion of the home. (I do not know how deep the pipes are buried.) With the pipping in these areas, could it potentially affect the results of the pressure test as there is a whole home on top vs the usual lawn / backyard it's buried under?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are losing more water with the pump running, that would imply a visible leak around your equipment.

1/5" can easily be accounted for through evaporation but 3/4" suggests a leak. Post your current result.

I would find a stretch of consistent weather and isolate 1 variable at a time for 24/48 hours each and see if you can find the culprit.

For example do 24/48 hours of:
- Normal pump operations
- Pump off
- Next, shut off the main drain and use the skimmers only
- Then turn the drains on and the skimmers off
- Then plug a few returns

That should help you tell the outlier and likely the culprit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.