underconstruction spool, help with plaster, decking....

Hi Shane1,
I was thinking the same all the way till I had the rocks shaped, that was the first bright thing beside some positive comments that I got here.
I also liked the color of the flagstone & to my knowledge it's natural.
Regards

That looks fantastic MINA! The stone used for the coping is really nice - it's like a more varied, more intense version of the peach buff Oklahoma that I used here in Texas. Very nice!
I still can't get over the concrete rocks for the waterfall.

We spent a lot of time agonizing over the waterline tile for our pool, and I'm glad we did. It is such a noticeable element. With a pool this size, you
can really go with something cool and creative.

Have you decided on a finish for the bottom? If you want the lagoon look, I think you'll almost have to go with an aggregate mix surface like Pebble-Tec. We went with a Midnight Blue Pebble-Tec and could not be happier. It looks like the bottom of the pool was carved out of a piece of dark blue granite - way cool. Do you want any greenish tinge to the water? Or are you looking for something really dark?

Congrats on your project - almost there!

Thanks Guys for your comments,
Finally we agreed on the water line tile, Silverstone Rust from npt (photo attached)
Regarding the finishing of the spool, we have french gray plaster in our contract but I want to upgrade to some kind of aggregate mix to get the lagoon look as you mentioned.
I'm more into dark blue colors (ocean blue, midnight blue, black…) but I'm not sure with such small pool size, I won’t have a large deep water surface area to reflect the color, will it look good or just clear water with dark aggregate bottom???
Also we will be standing or sitting most of the time, so I’m thinking pepple sheen will be softer than pepple tec under our feet, especially for the kids, am I right???

Attachments

• large_npt_silverstone1.jpg
    large_npt_silverstone1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 218
That water line tile looks great. I take it you are wanting it to blend with the coping so that you get a very natural appearance.
In my LIMITED design opinion the 4" and 6" size tiles blend better. We went the opposite direction and wanted our water line tile to "pop". We used
1/2" tiles, which stands out more and gives a very 'busy' appearance (picture below).

We haven't had any issues with the Pebble-Tec surface being rough on our feet, but I don't think you can go wrong with
Sheen either. My suggestion would be to try to see the color you want in person in a pool. The water changes color from morning to midday to evening, and with the depth of the water. It will also depend on whether your pool is in direct sun or is shaded. Seeing the color in a similar setting as your own (as much as possible) is worth it.

722d.jpg

Woww CombatYoga, I really like your tile & coping stones selection, it looks great & different.
I'm getting some nice comments about Pepple Tec, even my neighbor has it in Black color & it looks great. No body with a recent Pepple Tec application is really complaining about the roughness of the surface, most of the complaints were related to older generations of this finish, I think the manufacturer worked on improving or eliminating this problem (I’m just guessing)
Wish me luck Guys, we are going to the next phase; desert sand veneer stones for the spool side walls & the attached planter.
I really appreciate your comments & ideas.
Thanks all & regards

some more updates,
Now we are confused again about the tile, should we use the tile in the photo above to blend it with the coping stone & have a natural look or should we go with Blue brown/beige tile to get some contrast with the coping stones???

Regards everyone.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 203
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 204
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 204
Got the tile finally & getting ready for the stamped concrete decking.

Can someone help me find what colors are used in the attached concrete Photo, I'm trying to go with a Russet/ Brick Red color

Attachments

• DSC03093.jpg
    DSC03093.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC03094.jpg
    DSC03094.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 6341_homepage_left2.jpg
    6341_homepage_left2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 193
The rock work your guys are doing looks nice... I'd be careful with too many dark goldy looking colors. The pool has a very "heavy" feel to me. just my opinion. After lots of greens it will soften the look a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am afraid you are right, it's too much for the small size of the spool. We are planning for a lot of green plants & bushes to lighten the dark colors of the rocks.
I'm just thinking; stamped concrete colors usually fade by time so I wanna go with a dark color that will fade soon.
I just can't decide should I go brownish concrete or switch to dark orange/golden or brick red...
I have to choose from Davis colors: http://www.daviscolors.com/#concrete

Thanks all for your help & opinions.

Almost done, Equipment tomorrow & hopefully next week: Staining the stamped concrete, Install the BBQ island, Apply the spool finish (Ocean Blue PS I think) we will look at the samples tomorrow.
Does that mean we can get wet in 2 weeks? I hope so

Attachments

• ALMOST DONE 2.JPG
    ALMOST DONE 2.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 179
The PB didn’t give me yet the $ amount for the upgrade from French gray plaster to Pepple tec or sheen. Can anyone help me estimate how much I should expect for the upgrade?

Ok, Finally got the spool finish, It was so much confusing but I think I will be glad with my choice.
It was applied yesterday, Today they will acid wash it then it's water fill timeeeeee :whoot:

Attachments

• photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 175
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 169
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 168
Finally Waterrrrr :party:

& Start up procedure tomorrow (200$????)

BTW: it looks more blue than it shows in the photos

Attachments

• photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 151
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 151
  • photo8.JPG
    photo8.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 150
Melt In The Sun: Thanks for your comment

Xs:
It's a kind of a big Spa (social Pool), it's big enough to seat 12 persons & enjoy the 8 jets on the left side. I knew my backyard was not big enough for a pool so a big spa was our best 2nd option to enjoy some water in the summer & during winter we can still heat it & soak in it
I saw your thread, I'm sorry you're going through this headache with the deck & coping. I hope you will get that fixed & soon you will enjoy your own beautiful oasis,
I’m located in southern CA, you are welcome anytime if you are visiting to come & have a drink with us.
Good luck

I am resisting the feeling that I wanna lie & say pebble sheen Ocean Blue (just to see if someone can tell the difference) but the truth: it’s NPT Stonescapes & the color is midnight blue with added crushed sea shells & some sparkling silver aggregates they call it onyx. I really like the reflections of these called onyx aggregates. I will try to post a photo of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.