Under construction in texas - water in it finally!

maxepr1 said:
I'd like some feedback on your chiller after this summer. I almost put one in but got talked out of it.

I've got a separate return circuit to run 3 chiller towers on a schedule. We did this on my neighbor's pool and it dropped the temps 10 degrees over a few days. I decided no to go with a glacier.

shakenbake said:

Excellent. Thanks for the vids. I'm guessing that is not even on full power.

We are in the process of getting a small pool with an endless pools fastlane machine. I like the look of your system much better but I think it would not really fit with our pool size.

skijunkie said:
shakenbake said:

Excellent. Thanks for the vids. I'm guessing that is not even on full power.

We are in the process of getting a small pool with an endless pools fastlane machine. I like the look of your system much better but I think it would not really fit with our pool size.

That's at about 700rpm and 16amps, the system can do 1300 and 28 amps.

When we were trying out different systems, one of the them was an riverflow unit in a small body of water at a physical therapy clinic. It worked really well. In fact a couple was over this week trying ours out, and their decision was to go with a riverflow unit in a small 8000gal pool used strictly for exercise. Their decision came down to how quiet the system was in the water and quality of the flow.

That is impressive on the amount of water it can move.

Our pool is only about 3600 to 3900 gallon fiberglass shell depending on who you talk to but I guess maybe it would still work. I didn't run across your build until we had already settled on and ordered the endless pool fastlane. Actually I had never heard of the riverflow system, despite searching around quite a lot, until I ran across your thread here. So you found installs here in Austin to try? Was you pool builder experienced with riverflow?

I do like the fastlane, but it would be nice not to have a machine protruding into the pool. Not horrible in an exercise only pool, but I wouldn't like it in a pool also used for recreation.

One of the other contenders we liked was the SwimEx, but it was way more expensive. None of the swim spas were close to what we wanted.

shakenbake said:
maxepr1 said:
I'd like some feedback on your chiller after this summer. I almost put one in but got talked out of it.

I've got a separate return circuit to run 3 chiller towers on a schedule. We did this on my neighbor's pool and it dropped the temps 10 degrees over a few days. I decided no to go with a glacier.

Can you elaborate on that? What equipment do you have there. Like you we need chilling in July and august and I am at the point of ordering equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
http://www.mistcooling.com/poolcooler.htm

These plug into a return line. When you circulate water through the pool, these towers basically mist the pool, dropping temps through evaporation.

I created a separate return circuit with three returns that I can turn on or off with a actuated valve controlled by the pool automation system, on a schedule. It won't be super precise, but it should help drop temps from 90 degrees to low 80s.

Update on cooling towers:

The amount of power needed to pressurize the towers and still maintain good circulation is more than what would be used by a Glacier for a pool this big. Though $2000 for a glacier will buy a lot of power....

Many years later....Update:
- C1900 Chemical Automation continues to work well. The only issue I face is that liquid chlorine adds a lot of salt.
- A single pump has worked well to save power. I'm pretty happy with it.
- DE Filters are a giant PITA to clean. Looking forward to a better option that is easier to clean and delivers the same results.
- Since gas is so cheap and electricity has doubled in the last couple years in Austin, we don't use the heat pump.
- We tried covering the pool with one of those bubble wrapper units, but the sun destroyed it in 1 year. It was such a pain to cut to shape we didn't bother trying again. I do wish we had a cover as we would heat the pool in the cooler months.
- I wish we would have made the hot tub larger, the kids love playing in it.
- Kids love the swim current.
- Wish we had a big slide, maybe someday....

After 8 years - here is where I'm at.

-The swim pump is used by the kids, but it's not being used by the wife for exercise
-I threw away the UV filter, it was a waste of time and money (a lot of money). The guys are local to me in austin and would not even come out to troubleshoot it. Garbage and a scam.
-Chemical system is still running strong. It costs about $120-150 each year in parts for the pumps, sensors, injectors. Sensors are hit or miss. ORP sensors seem to be useful for 2-3 years, ph sensors last 1 year.
-I was worried in the early days about the salt levels due to liquid chlorine, going as far as to have it RO'd one year to drop levels. I have stopped worrying and have had no problems. Salt levels are high, but not as high as a salt water pool.
-I really really wish we had a cover, likely next time I will get a normal shaped level pool and a cover so we can keep it heated all year round (and cooler in the summer.
-The Jandy LXi heater died last year, could not be repaired. This is mostly my fault - I had the acid tank near it. The gas from the acid tank eats anything metal. I replaced with another Jandy, the JXi w/bypass.
-Austin electric prices are crazy punitive so we don't use the heat pump (and we even have 10KW of solar). It's been maybe used for 8 hours. Has been cheaper to use gas.
-Polaris 280 is, I am sorry to say, not worth the trouble. It has never really cleaned the pool well. I've had to rebuild several times. I am about to move to a Dolphin or a P9550.
-Water temps are a problem. the pebbletec is a lighter color, but not white. Summers hold around 93F, chiller towers drop it, but I have to run the pump at higher output all the time.
-The third body of water, kiddie pool, is cool - but really a waste of money and time (cleaning it)
- We've had lots of leaks in light fixtures, skimmers, etc. Leaks have been a problem. Kind of a bummer actually. Complexity is not your friend.
- Wish we had taken the money we spent on UV filter, Heat pump and 1) made the hot tub bigger, and 2) added more built in shade. Shade is key.
- Sun is a major pool equipment enemy. Consider shading it.

Thanks all I can think of. Thanks for 8 years of help TFP!

Thanks for this update! It’s great to hear your thoughts on the build eight years later. Your kids must be nearly grownups—how great to have grown up with that pool!

Yes, thank you. Nice honest evaluation. I didn't last as long as you with my pressure side cleaner (only 4 years) before I replumbed and bought a Dolphin Active 20. Any market for an almost new old heat pump? Probably not locally due to the high cost of electricity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.