Under Construction - Absolute DISASTER. Advice appreciated!

Re: Under Construction - Absolute DISASTER. Advice apprecia

I don't see how it an be fine with the concrete acting as a bridge between the surrounding native soil and the pool edge. I inderstand some of the fill would have compacted when wet but this seems like it is simply that the compaction was not done correctly and you now have a portion of the weight of the slabs pushing on the wall forms. They may be OK but I would hate to here of an earthquake that caused the slabs to move and the pool walls to fail. When you tap on the other slabs, do they sound hollow or solid like old concrete work in your yard?

I would think a party with no financial interest should be consulted. If the builder is willing to step up and remove the slabwork, re-compact and re-slab, I would be willing to try that.

Confident it will hold up and I guarantee it for 10 years are two very different things. I have seen thinner slabs bridge voids without any problems for years, but you just paid for this. This is a tough one. Seeing as how you just paid for this, it would be nice to have it properly built. There are 100's if not 1000's of pool slabs that look identical to yours and are fine, except you looked under the slab so you know there is a void. Ask the pool builder if he would be happy with this at his house. If he says yes, tell him to back it up in writing.

I don't want to stir the pot here, but I seriously doubt that your discussions with the PB prior to the build talked about 4 to 6 inch voids under your slab.

wahhutch9 said:
I spoke with the concrete guy this morning. He told me that he is confident the concrete will be fine.

Nope. It'll crack all to pieces over time with a void like that. The stone/fill didnt go anywhere, it just settled.
This is a prime example of why folks should wait a few months to pour a concrete deck on an over dug pool. And thats not pure stone either, its gravel. Perfectly fine material to use, matter of fact i prefer it, but it needs to be tamped properly in lifts, and allowed to settle a bit before a deck is put in.

The concrete may be fine, especially if they used fiber and steel. I would be concerned about the load the metal pool wall is now having to support. they're pretty strong in that direction, but were never meant to support the load that it appears that the decking is placing on it.

It may act like a "bridge" but it was not designed as such and I HIGHLY doubt even with fiber mesh and a welded wire it will preform as such. As stated earlier there are grout injections available to fill any voids left. They are usually expensive and would be easier and probably cheaper in the long run to just remove it and fix it properly. Stand your Ground and get what you paid for.

wahhutch9 said:
I spoke with the concrete guy this morning. He told me that he is confident the concrete will be fine. He told me he doesn't go cheap in his concrete and that he uses the best mix possible... And a wire and fiber mesh to help. He told me to think of it as a bridge... The concrete sits on the metal edge of the pool wall and there is a small gap between the edge of the pool and where the concrete is resting on the ground. He said he's confident it will be OK and hold up over the long haul.

Thoughts?

This picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/33356435@N02/9396390412/ clearly shows that the wire is stuck on the bottom of the concrete and not in the concrete. Fiber , in my opinion, is not worth the expense. If there was a 3/8" rebar grid on 16" centers I might agree with him.

Whoever recommended replacement or pumping whatever mix they referred to above gave you good advice.

Was a building permit required for this work? I know nobody wants to interact with a building inspector if they don't have to, but you might get some useful leverage.

CUTiger78 said:
Was a building permit required for this work? I know nobody wants to interact with a building inspector if they don't have to, but you might get some useful leverage.

Interesting thought. It was required and a permit was pulled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I realize you are in Ohio, but you need an expert opinion. I suggest you contact Pool Enginerring in Anaheim, CA.
They are the largest pool engineering firm in the US. They can give you good profesional advice or refer you to someone who can. Pooleng.com.

I completely agree with Dave J. If it was poured concrete walls, than would no be a issue with the daking leaning on it ( deck sagging). 80% of the deck weight it's on solid ground, it most likely it will not tip down, like a seasaw motion, but it may crack as it ged older. I would recomend that at minimum, have the concrete deck cut off at least 2' back from pool , back fill it 5 " at time and compacted adding water as it goes up. Finished the 2' gap with paving blocks nicely. This option would be a remedy not to have to go to a lawsuit disput, which both sides endup loosing time, money, insted of relaxing and enjoing the pool. Right thing to do is replacing the decking on its entirely. Is any warrantee on the decking at all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.