Cmhamlin

Jun 15, 2021
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Opened later this year, chemicals are balanced and I still have cloudy water. When I turn off my pump dust or dirt settle on the floor of the pool. When I try to vaccum with handheld vaccum it removes some but not enough. I’m desperate and seriously considering floc just to bulk up the dust to vaccum out.

Send help , SOS

new pool owner

I have cartridge filter system, 30x15 ft pool with Vinyl lining..

Things I’ve tried.

-pressuring washing filter.
- clarifier
-Draining and refilling water
-Handheld vaccum separate from filter system.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Hey CM !! Unclear water means you need an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. We rule out algae first because it grows exponentially and you don’t want to get behind the 8 ball here. If it’s algae (and it usually is), We have an answer and a fix for it and you’ll need to SLAM Process. If you pass the OCLT then we are less worried about algae while we figure it out if it takes a few days.

fill out you signature with makes and models, pool type, test kit, etc and it will save us from asking questions about your questions.

If you don’t have a reliable test kit, you’ll need one and then post the results.

Reactions: Cmhamlin
Hey CM !! Unclear water means you need an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. We rule out algae first because it grows exponentially and you don’t want to get behind the 8 ball here. If it’s algae (and it usually is), We have an answer and a fix for it and you’ll need to SLAM Process. If you pass the OCLT then we are less worried about algae while we figure it out if it takes a few days.

fill out you signature with makes and models, pool type, test kit, etc and it will save us from asking questions about your questions.

If you don’t have a reliable test kit, you’ll need one and then post the results.
Done thank you ☺️

Reactions: Newdude
You can test and add if any FC is needed right away if you have the time. If not run the full set as it gets dark. The overnight test removes the sun from the equation. Only the sun and organics like algae or bather leftovers will consume FC.

You can test and add if any FC is needed right away if you have the time. If not run the full set as it gets dark. The overnight test removes the sun from the equation. Only the sun and organics like algae or bather leftovers will consume FC.
Okay so I had no chlorine in the pool it was practically zero. Ph 7.2, cya 45. I bought 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Dumped them into the pool yesterday it raised the FC to 12. This morning I. Dumped 2 more gallons still up there around 12, but the cya is now around 70.. why? I only used liquid chlorine, should I drain it again and start over 😭😭 is that normal. And yes it was only chlorine no algae remover or none of that.

Dumped 2 more gallons still up there around 12, but the cya is now around 70.. why?
The cloudy water could be skewing the test. Did you know you can reuse the sample water over and over ? Just keep sucking it up and squirting it back until you get a few readings that match. We all have our comfort zone, 2 out of 3, Best of 5, etc. lol.

Also the #s are only good to 10s. So 41-49 rounds up to 50. Try and get a consistent reading and SLAM Process for that CYA based on the FC/CYA Levels. You’re losing a considerable amount of chlorine so it’s algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Explain what a "Taylor- complete (high)" testkit is. If not sure, list each and ever reagent in the testkit. There should be a number similar to K-2005, K-2006, K-2006C.
Test Kits Compared

Post a full set of current test results. Remember, pH is only accurate when FC is below 10.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Are you using:
PoolMath
FC/CYA Levels
SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.