Two motors have shorted - can't figure out why.

AcesUp

Aug 19, 2008
Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hayward 1.5HP 2610 SuperPump 2 system. (220V)

I'm trying to diagnose why two pumps failed quickly.

I replaced a 5 year old motor with a cheaper backup (PureLine) that I've had sitting on my self for just such an occasion. I replaced the gaskets (but not impeller ceramic one) when I changed the pump. Everything worked fine for about 4 months, and then the breaker on the outside control panel (220V - 20 amp) tripped. When I attempted to reset the breaker, I heard a pop and an bright light from the motor like it had shorted. I thought it was just because it was a cheap motor and decided to move on.

I then replaced it with a high efficiency AO Smith motor. It ran for about three weeks and now the exact same thing has happened. It tripped the breaker and shorted when I attempted to reset it. The motor shaft will not turn easily. A pair of vice grips will turn it, but that's it.

Any ideas before I replace the motor for a third time?

Some troubleshooting things I've tried:

My volt meter looks as if everything is OK on the panel.

My booster pump, which in inline with the pool pump, runs fine and is getting the correct voltage.

I have replaced the 220 breaker, replaced the conduit and conductors to the main motor.

I am going to replace the impeller, the housing, and the diffuser before I put a third motor into it.

But I still can't figure out what could have caused the original issue. I broke down and called a pool guy, but he says he won't touch it until an electrician looks at it.

I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts you guys might have!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Welcome to TFP.

Why are you wedded to rebuilding that pump?

After two motors I would have trashed the pump and started fresh with a new pump under warranty.

Thanks for the response Allen.

That's a good point. Do you think it could be something inside the pump housing like the impeller?

Thanks for everyone's reply. I believe I have found the culprit. The Teflon disk that mates to the axle seal had cracked. I believe this caused water to back into the motor. Thoughts?

Attachments

• D20E7778-FC29-4DE9-B07F-75083CE0F055.jpeg
    D20E7778-FC29-4DE9-B07F-75083CE0F055.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 23
  • 60317640-0EBB-4B5F-9C5C-E6CD7FA780EC.jpeg
    60317640-0EBB-4B5F-9C5C-E6CD7FA780EC.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 23
I have replaced the spring seal along with the ceramic seal. I replaced the impeller. The new conduit and conductors are also installed. This picture was a test before I finished wiring. Everything seems to be running well with no leaks and good amps and volts.

If it happens again, I will replace the entire pump. I probably should have done that from the start. I don't particularly like Hayward's business practices. Also frustrating to find a competent pool service tech who wants to sell me a year's of chemistry before taking a look.

I

FYI, you lack GFCI protection on your pump CB as required by current code.

It is an important safety feature if you have a problem motor. Consider replacing your pump CB with a GFCI BREAKER.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IFYI, you lack GFCI protection on your pump CB as required by current code.

It is an important safety feature if you have a problem motor. Consider replacing your pump CB with a GFCI BREAKER.

FYI, you lack GFCI protection on your pump CB as required by current code.

Thanks for the code advisement. Is it code for GFCi for all CBs or just the pump?

Thanks for the code advisement. Is it code for GFCi for all CBs or just the pump?
All pool pumps and gas heaters require a GFCI CB.

High voltage pool lights also require GFCI protection by CB or connected to LOAD side of GFCI outlet.

Reactions: AcesUp
Glad you got it fixed. Honestly, those seals are $25 to $8 items, which to me is an expendable part to replace. It only takes an additional 5 - 10 minutes to do it.

Glad you got it fixed. Honestly, those seals are $25 to $8 items, which to me is an expendable part to replace. It only takes an additional 5 - 10 minutes to do it.
Absolutely. I know now. I think I will replace them every other year now as a maintenance issue.

Also, the GFCI CBs are expensive. They should be here this week.

Thanks for all the replies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.