Hope mills, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
First time user here. Got an Intex above ground pool with 12,481 gallon capacity. Pool was sitting for months after the warm season ended. Naturally the pool is completely green. Trying to utilize the SLAM method. Chlorine levels are completely zero. According to the pool math app, we are only supposed to add 48 oz of liquid chlorine. This needs to be done 3-4 times a day in addition to daily scrubbing. However, noticed that other people with the same issue are starting off using a gallon of chlorine to start off with and appear to use a gallon consistently. I’m new to all this and while I’ve read through the SLAM method process and through articles on this forum still a bit curious as to know if I’m going about this correctly. The goal is to get the pool back to blue (obviously) and then get the SWG back online to keep the FC levels constant throughout the year.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance

It is often faster and less expensive to just drain the pool and start over..

Depends on the kind of pool, and your ground water level.

Basically, if the cost of water is less than the cost of Liquid Chlorine, I'd drain and start over.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome! :wave: I would tend to agree with Jim. If your "swamp" is that bad, a total (or very large) drain to exchange water may be best for your AGP. You may still need to the SLAM Process, but it should help accelerate it quite a bit. If you do a major drain of water, take precautions to ensure the walls remain upright and watch for high winds that can disturb your set up. You may need to fabricate some temp braces.

As for your chlorine question, keep in mind that in a "typical" algae pool, the owner increases the FC to the proper FC-SLAM level. That level is much higher than a normal daily FC level, and how high depends on your current CYA. Refer to the chart below to see what I mean. Some neglected pools develop ammonia which can complicate the initial chlorination process, but we won't worry about that right now, especially if you elect to exchange a lot of water. If you have more questions let us know.

full

How do I raise the CYA?
We often times fill a white tube sock or similar item with granular stabilizer. Place the sock somewhere in the pool where it can soak for about 30 min. I put my sock in the skimmer but have also hung it over the edge of the pool. After about 30 min, take that sock full of mushy stabilizer to the return jets and start squeezing. You should have all the mush out of if there in about 5 minutes.

I’m partially confused about this SLAM process. It seems the ph was supposed to be lowered prior to starting the SLAM. the pool has now gone from green and swampy to teal in 24 hrs and now 3 days later it’s blue but cloudy. Not sure what to do. Should chlorine continue to be added? Or should I add some other chemicals. According to this test kit it needs Murat acid.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpeg
    IMG_4076.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please go back and read the SLAM Process again. You need to bring FC to the appropriate SLAM level based on your CYA as frequently as possible, a minimum of 3-4 times per day. Sometimes this will be 48 oz, sometimes 32, etc. Continue this process until you pass all 3 SLAM exit criteria.

Reactions: Newdude
I’ve reread the SLAM process multiple times. I had no CYA to begin with. So far been adding 32 oz in accordance with my Chlorine is around 2.0. The CYA however is something confusing. According to the slam video it said Ph could be ignored and nothing about CYA was mentioned. As previously stated, this is all new to me. I’m trying my best to read and scour this site for the answers to avoid being a pest. Thanks and apologies in advance to everyone kind enough to respond.
Please go back and read the SLAM Process again. You need to bring FC to the appropriate SLAM level based on your CYA as frequently as possible, a minimum of 3-4 times per day. Sometimes this will be 48 oz, sometimes 32, etc. Continue this process until you pass all 3 SLAM exit criteri

Please read Pool Care Basics Archives.

Can you post a complete set of test results? If not, you will need one of the suggested test kits to complete a SLAM properly.

You will still need to perform the SLAM if you intend to follow the regimen we teach

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpeg
    IMG_4076.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 1
I think we need to go a step back here. First thing you need is a proper test kit: Test Kits Compared. We generally recommend the TF-Pro.

Until your kit arrives keep adding 3ppm worth of liquid chlorine per day. Once you have your kit, run all the tests from the kit and post the results in the form
FC
CC
pH
CYA
TA
CH
Water temperature

Then we take it from there.

WIthout a known CYA you won't know the correct SLAM level . And without the FAS/DPD chlorine test that is in the recommended test kits you will not be able to accurately test FC at the required levels.

Have you ever used Trichlor or Dichlor to add chlorine? Those two increase CYA levels. Calcium Hypochlorite and liquid chlorine don't. But Cal Hypo increases calcium levels which can lead to scaling eventually. That's why we recommend to only chlorinate with liquid chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator. A SLAM should be done with liquid chlorine, SWG turned off.

CYA is best added on its own to a defined level.

Reactions: Newdude
I think we need to go a step back here. First thing you need is a proper test kit: Test Kits Compared. We generally recommend the TF-Pro.

Until your kit arrives keep adding 3ppm worth of liquid chlorine per day. Once you have your kit, run all the tests from the kit and post the results in the form
FC
CC
pH
CYA
TA
CH
Water temperature

Then we take it from there.

WIthout a known CYA you won't know the correct SLAM level . And without the FAS/DPD chlorine test that is in the recommended test kits you will not be able to accurately test FC at the required levels.

Have you ever used Trichlor or Dichlor to add chlorine? Those two increase CYA levels. Calcium Hypochlorite and liquid chlorine don't. But Cal Hypo increases calcium levels which can lead to scaling eventually. That's why we recommend to only chlorinate with liquid chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator. A SLAM should be done with liquid chlorine, SWG turned off.

CYA is best added on its own to a defined level.
Thank you SO much for the detailed explanation! That is exactly what I was searching for. On Friday my TF pro kit arrives. Will continue to add the chlorine. Thank you again.

Reactions: Newdude and mgtfp
Add 5 ppm chlorine DAILY until your test kit arrives. This should keep the algae from getting worse.

Also - re-read the SLAM Process article.
If you CYA is below 30, add enough stabilizer to bring the CYA up to 30.
Use the FC/CYA Levels to determine the FC levels required for the SLAM Process.

Add 5 ppm chlorine DAILY until your test kit arrives. This should keep the algae from getting worse.

Also - re-read the SLAM Process article.
If you CYA is below 30, add enough stabilizer to bring the CYA up to 30.
Use the FC/CYA Levels to determine the FC levels required for the SLAM Process.
Understood. Question: how do I determine the 3-5 ppm? Does the pool math app do the conversion for u?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support