Trying to master the pool math and failed

Jroyal

Jun 4, 2023
Michigan
My 27000 gal vinyl pool was opened one week ago and the water has started eating my chlorine. I had this issue last year and ended up using way to much LC I think. My current #'s are below. Can someone advise how many gal of 10% or 12.5 LC I need to purchase to go thru a slam process? Thanks in advance from newbie JRoy
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
PH 6.8
TA 90
CYA 55

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The amount of chlorine needed to sustain a SLAM Process though completion can vary quite a bit based on the water's condition. Your CYA would be considered 60, so the SLAM FC level is 24. In your 27K pool it takes 6.5 gallons of 10% to go from zero to 24. From there, it's a matter of maintaining the FC level as best as you can as it drops during the day. You'll need a good 10-15 gallons to start with.

Are you sure about that pH? That's definitely too low. I would get it to 7.0-7.2 before starting the SLAM.

In order to measure the higher FC readings required by the SLAM Process you will need a FAS-DPD test kit. The Taylor K-1515 will meet that need. Or order a TF-Pro test kit from TFTestkits. The TF-Pro includes everything you need in a test kit and the stirrer device is included.

Reactions: Jroyal
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.