Trying to figure this all out! OVERWHELMED!

Butterfly said:
White caps! :shock:

:party: :sun: :party:

I live near the ocean so white caps are what you see when the water is rough and waves are rolling! :lol: Looks like a whirlpool tub with the jets on full blast! Had to angle the return so it wasn't creating tons of bubbles! Guess the 1 hp was a bit much but hey, I'll take it! Should keep the water stirred up nice.

Steve,
You asked about the return pressure....how's this?
101_1718.jpg

Finally brought my sample to work to look under the microscope. We don't have a highpowered one but from what I could see the cells are round. Couldn't see anything that was long that resembled algae but FC went from 20 to 18 overnight so I'm still curious about it. Called two pool stores and they both were stumped when I asked about testing for metals and algae. One said it would show up in the CH level and the other said, bring in your sample and we'll figure something out. We have the stuff to treat both metals and algae. Well, I want to know what I'm treating before I throw chems in!

The water isn't getting any worse. It's dull and hazy but clear (I can see the bottom). When I brush it to one side, 1/2 of the pool is clear and the other is murky. It mixes and then settles. It's so fine and so strange.

I'm going to read up on the DE. Is this something I can buy at the store??

Went to two pool stores at lunch. The first one tested my water. Are you ready for these numbers??????

CL-high
PH-low
TA-low
CH-very hard water

NICE HUH?

Anyways, I was looking for a skimmer sock and they didn't have any. I bought metal sequestrant and clarifier/floc. He tried to sell me a very expensive leaf net to "skim" the bottom with it. I told him I would just vacuum. I also got my nice free water sample bottle!

The second pool store had the skimmer sock so I bought one and again got a free water sample bottle. Would have had them test my water too but the other guy poured my water out. :grrrr:

I think I'll stick with my TF 1000 test kit as I don't know anymore about my water than I already knew.

FC didn't hold again last night. Went from 15 to 12 so I got in this am and vacuumed really good. As I was doing so, these little buggars floated to the surface. Look like little green sausage links. IS THIS ALGAE?
101_1747.jpg

101_1749.jpg

I skimmed out what I could (just a few you see here) and then I shocked again, got in this time and scrubbed the bottom and sides really good. The water is clear but a little hazy. I threw in all the pool stuff (vacuum, skimmer, brush, bucket, etc.). If this is algae, then at least I know what it looks like now. If this isn't algae than I don't know why my FC won't hold overnight.

That's a great pic. Now I can read your palm and predict your future..... :mrgreen: I predict clear water ahead! LOL

Seriously, I'm not certain? I have been lucky enough not to have algae in my pool...but having seen algae in lakes while fishing, that sure looks like algae....and combined with your FC loss at night, that's probably confirmation.

I was talking to my friend Beave last night, he had an Intex pool for 4 years. Anway, he said the space between the dark blue and light blue, the walls of your pool get really slimy, and needs to be brushed or wiped frequently to keep stuff from growing there. So I'm not sure if you are getting those areas or not, but thought I would mention it.

Hit it hard! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
That's a great pic. Now I can read your palm and predict your future..... :mrgreen: I predict clear water ahead! LOL
I was going to mention that myself! If anyone has palm reading experience, I'll take the advice.

Seriously, I'm not certain? I have been lucky enough not to have algae in my pool...but having seen algae in lakes while fishing, that sure looks like algae....and combined with your FC loss at night, that's probably confirmation.

I was talking to my friend Beave last night, he had an Intex pool for 4 years. Anway, he said the space between the dark blue and light blue, the walls of your pool get really slimy, and needs to be brushed or wiped frequently to keep stuff from growing there. So I'm not sure if you are getting those areas or not, but thought I would mention it.
I've been scrubbing that area too. By hand and with the brush. It's clean as a whistle!

Hit it hard! :goodjob:

Did the same as yesterday....got in vacuumed, scrubbed, etc. I put a small puck in the skimmer last night so before I went to bed FC was 22 and this am it was 24 so not sure what the loss would have been but I wanted the FC to stay above 20 overnight to help my efforts. Pool water is clear but hazy still. You can see the bottom but it's not sparkly. Guess I should continue to shock huh?

Yes, you should shock again tonight, no puck, and measure your FC loss, as that's the only way to know if you have killed all the algae. The puck interferes with that test (I do understand your reasoning behind it tho.)

Remember the three criteria. You are done shocking when:

Your FC holds overnight, or you lose less than 1ppm
Your CC is .5 or less
Your water is sparkly!

When you meet all three, you can let the FC drop down to your target normal range, resume filtering schedule. Keep testing daily, brushing etc. cleaning the filter when necessary, and don't forget - enjoy it!

frustratedpoolmom said:
Remember the three criteria. You are done shocking when:

Your FC holds overnight, or you lose less than 1ppm
Your CC is .5 or less
Your water is sparkly!

I have two of the three criteria this am.
FC held from 27 last night to 26 this am.
CC is .5
Water is STILL not sparkly yet.

What should I do?
P.S. PH is only at 7.5 which I know is good under normal conditions but during shock isn't it supposed to be really high??

Don't worry about making adjustments to your PH until your FC has dropped below 10.

You'll get there....another day or two of round-the-clock filtering and high FC and it should clear up. :goodjob:

Do you prefer diet or regular POP? :mrgreen:

I'm a fan of Diet Coke with Splenda.

IS THIS ALGAE?

Yes, that is algae! I had been having a hard time with my FC, so I went looking for the cause. I found stuff just like that in several places, like under the ladder steps, behind the light(it was totally full!) behind/around the return eyeballs, inside/around the edges of the skimmers and all around the steps where the vinyl liner attaches and is hidden with a strip. My attempts to shock it away were not effective, but a good brush was! Look in all the out of the way places, and just brush the areas that you want to keep (clean :wink: )

So happy for you. It takes a lot of work for a while. You've had it worse than I did in my ordeal, that's for sure.

Are you sleeping better at night ? No more tears ??

You can brag to anyone now because you did it. You hung in there through that whole roller coaster ride. And you can now enjoy the pool and you will know just what to do next summer.

Congrats !

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.