Dirk_Gently

Apr 19, 2023
Indianapolis, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. I opened up the pool this year and it was a mess - pool wasn't clean when I closed it due to badly working filter and pump system. But, I've got a new sand filter with glass media and a new pump now. Been cleaning for a week or so and the algae is gone I think.

But, water is still cloudy. Used a new Taylor test today the numbers were pretty close to right.

CYA 30 - so, that is low
FC - 7.5 - seems about right since I've been trying to get the level back down by not adding and letting the sun burn it off
CC - 2.5, so looks like there's not much left in the pool to go after algae wise
PH - the big surprise- about 7.4 which is basically right on target - I thought it works be off and be causing the cloudy water
Total alkalinity about 140-150 - a little high
Hardness - about 350

Any thoughts on clearing up that water?

received_687645409844267.jpeg

Your CC is much too high. Please look at the SLAM link in my signature line for the criteria.
Welcome to the forum. Ph doesn't cause cloudy water. Hit it with bleach and keep filtering and backwashing.

With a cloudy water and a CC of 2.5 you should follow the SLAM process as recommended above. Cloudy water = algae = SLAM.
Also, sand filters historically are the slowest at clearing cloudy water but I can't speak to the glass media.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What test kit are you using?
Test Kits Compared

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufafturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help specific to your pool without needing to ask each time.
Hello. Taylor 2006 kit.

CC is down after 6 days of slamming, but no clearer. Did notice that fine, white/gray was blowing back in through the return jets. Dead algae too small to filter?

Hello. Taylor 2006 kit.

CC is down after 6 days of slamming, but no clearer. Did notice that fine, white/gray was blowing back in through the return jets. Dead algae too small to filter?
Can you fill out your signature so we know what we are dealing with?

Do you have any hairnets? Can you put one over a return for a bit and see if you can capture and take a picture?

Can you fill out your signature so we know what we are dealing with?

Do you have any hairnets? Can you put one over a return for a bit and see if you can capture and take a picture?
No hair nets, but I can certainly pick some up and see what's coming out. Interesting idea!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put a pole in the water each day at the same spot at around the same time and take a photo. Filtering out stuff can take time, but it should so progress that way with how far you can see down the pole.

If it's stalled, there's some stuff you can try - mainly verifying you're scrubbing out any niches where algae could be hiding to confirm there's nothing still growing (and then dying and adding to the cloudiness) or doing a deep clean of the sand filter to make sure gunk in there isn't stalling the process. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.