Troubleshooting Help - After a storm last night my Hayward Omnilogic is unable to power on the 2 VSP pumps and the spa blower

golovko

Gold Supporter
Nov 24, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all,

We had a bad thunderstorm last night where we lost power for a second. Since then my pool equipment is not coming online.

Equipment:
Hayward Omnilogic
Hayward VSP pumps (1 for pool/spa and 1 for bubblers)
Blower
Lights

I am able to connect to the Omnilogic via the App, it is connected to the internet.
I am able to turn the lights on and off via the App
The pumps do not power on and the spa blower does not power on
The Omnilogic is able to control the actuators when switching between pool, spillover and/or spa. I can see them moving just not seeing the pumps turn on after

I have powered the whole system down and checked all the breakers but no change.

Pool service will be out by the end of the week to check the system but I'd like to troubleshoot things if possible so I'm not without moving water for a week.

What can I do myself in the meantime?

(Pump photo)
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 7.41.00 PM-1.png

Last edited:
I went through the service mode config wizard to see if maybe the pumps HUA address got dropped and needed to be reassigned. When going through the assign unique address screen to detect devices and assign one to a pump in the setup wizard, there are no devices detected.

Omni/VS Pump HUA Not Visible to the Omni Control​

Hayward has seen some instances where the HUA from a Gen 3 VS pump was not visible to the Omni control.

These instances have occurred after:
  • A power brownout
  • The pump was installed with incorrect dipswitch position and the dipswitch was moved while power to the pump was still on.
Once Power was restored, or the pump powered down and back up the HUA would not populate into the control.

Solution that Hayward found is that power needs to be turned off to the pump for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes and as much as 15 minutes to allow the drive to reset. Once power is restored the HUA was visible to the Omni and the pump worked normally.

Reactions: golovko
Is there surge protection for the entire system? If not, the lightning may have fried your equipment. The only thing you can really try is power cycling and/or looking for burn marks on the boards.

I'll check for burn marks. I do have a surge protection in the panel for the whole house which is what the pool is behind as well.

I've tried flipping the main breaker (for all pool equipment and omnilogic) off and on as well as the individual breakers for each component with no luck.

Omni/VS Pump HUA Not Visible to the Omni Control​

Hayward has seen some instances where the HUA from a Gen 3 VS pump was not visible to the Omni control.

These instances have occurred after:
  • A power brownout
  • The pump was installed with incorrect dipswitch position and the dipswitch was moved while power to the pump was still on.
Once Power was restored, or the pump powered down and back up the HUA would not populate into the control.

Solution that Hayward found is that power needs to be turned off to the pump for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes and as much as 15 minutes to allow the drive to reset. Once power is restored the HUA was visible to the Omni and the pump worked normally.
oh wow, that's definitely not something I have tried. I left power off for 10-20 seconds at most. I will try this now and report back. Thank you!

Flipped the breakers for the two pumps, heater and blower to off and set a timer for 10 minutes. If this doesn't work then I'll try waiting longer than 15 min

Get your VS pumps running and your heater and blower should be fine.

The Omni is not going to run your heater or blower without the pump running. And the heater will not run without seeing water flow at its pressure switch,

Get your VS pumps running and your heater and blower should be fine.

The Omni is not going to run your heater or blower without the pump running. And the heater will not run without seeing water flow at its pressure switch,
The heater is on the same breaker as the pump so it powered off with it.

No luck yet. Maybe I didn't leave them powered off long enough. I flipped the breaker again to off and will wait longer. Do I also need to shut down the omnilogic?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No luck. Lights still work and the actuators still work but none of the pumps

I did check for scortch marks and everything looks normal inside the panel.

Since nothing is working anyway try leaving your pump power off for a day.

Since nothing is working anyway try leaving your pump power off for a day.
I'll give that a shot.

Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime. It's really hot out so don't want to create a big mess for myself in terms of water chemistry once its back up and running.

Pour a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine daily into the pool until you get the pump running. Stir the water with your pool brush.

Let's see if @1poolman1 has any ideas.
May want to disconnect the RS485 plug and see if the pump will operate as a stand-alone. Upper right of right-hand diagram. Turn the breaker to the pump off first, un-plug, breaker on. Be sure there is power at the high-voltage terminals as well. Be sure the power is off when making any changes.
rcgp7vwhhyd3hwukh9ap8cvsmu6pj4ucbl196v6cha1dditfo1re8axewoinfhbr-orig.jpg

May want to disconnect the RS485 plug and see if the pump will operate as a stand-alone. Upper right of right-hand diagram. Turn the breaker to the pump off first, un-plug, breaker on. Be sure there is power at the high-voltage terminals as well. Be sure the power is off when making any changes.
rcgp7vwhhyd3hwukh9ap8cvsmu6pj4ucbl196v6cha1dditfo1re8axewoinfhbr-orig.jpg
Thanks! I'll give this a try tomorrow, starting to get dark out. I did just add a gallon of liquid chlorine and then brushed the pool and spa (added a bit to the spa). I'm also running the robot again to help keep water moving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.