Torrid journey - need a sanity check

Thanks Jason -

I used to live in Oro Valley when I moved to USA from UK. Love AZ and the desert - 110 degrees is my fav !

I still have a house there that I rent out - wish I knew all this stuff when I was living there. Now I have no idea how well my pool is being looked after by our pool guy. I like him, but not sure how good he is , in light of my new found knowledge! I just has it re-plastered for new renters - I am pretty sure non of the scrubbing or other things were done that I read on here about, by the contractors who did it. I should fly out with my test kit!

Hi,

So, over the last 10 days, I have been monitoring the pool (just daily with FC, CC, PH and TA) and twice with CYA and Calcium.

Over this period reading have been:
1. fc 7-8
2. cc - 0
3. ph - 7.4 - 7.5 (have not needed to add acid in last 2 weeks as happy wit that level)
4. CYA - 70-75
5. TA - 75-80
6. CH - 475

I managed to get pump time down from 10am - 10pm to 11am to 5pm and have monitor set to 40%.

It was ticking along ok, as I wanted to bring FC down a bit to 5-6.

Anyway , it was pretty stable , but then started seeing it drop too much, so I increased to 50% , then 60 % then increased pump time to 10am to 5pm (thinking as we do not usually swim until 1pm or so, it will have 3 hours in morning to replace the FC that was lost in the sun from 5pm - 8pm.

However, this morning, it is now at FC 2 ppm, CC - 0. Even though it has been set to 60% last 3 days with 7 hour pump run time.

I have now set it to 100% to see if it goes up.

Any idea what could be causing the drop ? No warning lights on, clean filter and cell every week. Salt at 3200.

What should be my next fault finding step is FC does not rise with it set to 100% ?

thx

BTW, I crunched your numbers for gallonage again for you. I did it two different ways. First my method which is L*W*D/231 (all in inches). I also used the Google conversion calculator to convert your reading in ft3 to gallons. My method 10809.3. Google 10884.1.

Is there a simple aqua rite , reboot/ reset that can be done, to perhaps make sure it is working? My cc is still zero. What is minimum fc I should let kids swim in ? Water is still crystal clear. Also, should I go buy and add liquid bleach so I do not drop to zero ? Thx .

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Simon, I don't have an swg, but in your shoes with the wee one rehabbing from surgery, I would keep FC liquid on hand to supplement (So yes, bring it up with liquid right now while sorting swg) and would not really aim to optimize the filter run time at least until wee one is all better...eg. If it takes 10 or 12 hours in current sun/enviro conditions to produce FC where you want it, just run it that long -- NO pool was ever harmed by extra filtration...in fact, more suffer from the corollary ;)

Just my 2 cents ...

Ok. Thanks. Will do.
Never added chlorine manually before- do I need to buy special bleach from pool store ? Also , if I raise to ' shock ' level. Can you still swim in it or do I then switch off monitor until level drops back down to the target 6ppm? Thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need plain old bleach and use PoolMath to calculate dosages. It will not impact your TA, your pH will temporarily be higher when you add the bleach, but will drop back down as the FC is consumed.

It is safe to swim as long as the FC is below shock level.
The SWG should be off, pump running, for the OCLT.

12-15k is a big size range in your signature. Also check the strength of the bleach ... most is now 8.25% or 10% or 12% from hardware or pool stores.

You may not need to go quite that high just for the OCLT ... of course if you fail, then you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which could take at least a few days.

Change the Sig when you get back to a computer ;)

You probably only need 4, 121oz 8.25% bottles of bleach to get you plenty high on FC ... even just 3 should be enough for the test I would think.

So, just got home having run pool all day at 100%. It is now up to 4ppm. Ph is up from 7.4/5 to 7.6. Also slight pink on CC test now , although less than .5 ppm, but up to today, it has always been zero. Is there anything these things tell me , before I go poor in 3 gallons of bleach for night test ? Also, for night test purposes, can I not just raise it to 8-10 and do the test? That way, if it doesnt lose any then it is ok to swim in tomorrow ? Thx

On a side note, monitor says temp is 87 , yet when I test with my meat testing fork , it says 84. Is it normal to be 3 degrees out ? Also my salt is up from 3200 to 3300 since I switch to super cl . Is that normal ? Thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.