To Borax or no Borax

Aug 2, 2013
I've done searches on here and I see the multitudes of opinions on this, but I guess I'm asking for a few for my situation.

I have an above ground 16'x32' I am using a saltwater generator. Other than a short vacation when we came back to a little green on the walls last year, we have had it up and running for 3 years and have had great looking water the whole time (knock on wood). We check levels 1-2 times a week and add about 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid weekly.

Is it worth it to mess with a good thing and add borax to the pool or keep doing as is?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The primary purpose for borates in a pool is to help stabilize pH. but there are other things that will help with rising pH. Do you have a good test kit? Could you post a full set of test results? What is the current TA? What are you using as a target pH? How high is the calcium in the pool? Are you having any issues with scale in the SWG cell?

We keep the ph 7.2-7.8. Yes I have to soak the SWG cell in a bucket of vinegar every couple of weeks because of scale build up is bad.

At our last testing at the pool store last week:
PH 7.4
Adj. Total Alk 119
Free Chlorine 5.1
Total Chlorine 5.2
Hardness 382
TDS 3000
CYA 40

Welcome to TFP. I would suggest you spend some time reading and studying all the material in Pool School. It's the button at the upper right of this page. You also need to obtain a proper test kit and do your own testing. It's the only way to get reliable information on which to base things

1. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate and not dependable. If you want to control your pool chemistry you need a proper test kit. There are only two which we recommend, the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. Of the two, the TF-100 is the best value, by far.

2. Even if we did believe pool store test, there are things you can do to help stabilize pH short of borates. Your TA is quite high. Lowering it to around 60 or so would help. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

3. Trying to maintain a pH below 7.5 in a SWG pool is often an exercise in frustration. Nothing wrong with a pH of 7.7 or 7.8, if that's where it wants to be don't fight it. Just stay below 8.

4. Before you consider borates (which is considered an advanced technique to address very specific problems) you need to do everything possible to balance the pool within normal parameters.

5. TDS is a useless test as you will read in Pool School. It has little to do with proper pool chemistry and is just an excuse to sell expensive potions you don't need or want in your pool.

6. If you are interested in using TFP methods to have your own Troublefree Pool,
a. stay away from pool stores,
b. ignore any advice from any source other than the forum,
c. get your own test kit and learn to use it.

Once again welcome, there are lots of friendly folks here that will help you with any pool problems.

Reactions: mouse23
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.