New Windsor, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I decided to add some borax to my pool for the first time, because I heard it's good for the pool water. I was wondering will the borax prevent my pool water from turning green(full of algae) when it is closed for the season to look like or close to the picture on the right. Or would the pool still turn green. Pool turning green not a big deal water clears up in a few days. I use a mesh cover, and every pool opening the water is green or almost black depending on when I opened the pool. I'm getting a borate testing kit, and if the Borax actually stops algae growth, I want to know should I aim higher than 50ppm or just keep borate level at 50ppm. I hoping for an answer to my question that would be either Yes or No with maybe some extra explanation. Please no answers like you should use a solid cover to close your pool. I made a mistake and asked the same question in another group and all the answers were use a solid pool cover, close later. Those answers did not answer my borax question.

Attachments

• Collage 2022-05-30 09_35_57.jpg
    Collage 2022-05-30 09_35_57.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 14

“… Are Borates an Algaecide?

While Borates tend to have a minimal effect as an algaecide one shouldn’t utilize them to prevent algae. The boron concentration that that is required to noticeably reduce the risk of algae[8] is far higher than what is generally considered safe so we generally don’t utilize them to prevent algae, we only focus on the benefits for buffering pH changes.

What are the algaestatic properties of borates

The algaestatic properties of borates is over-stated at 50ppm. Borates act more as an "inhibitor" than biocidal agent. In other words, the presence of boron in the water at 50ppm interferes with certain cellular processes going on inside the algae (likely inhibiting key enzymes that contain diol organic structures). By causing this interference, the algae is either slowed in it's replication or it's reproduction is stopped.[9]

Borates only become truly algaestatic at concentrations above 100ppm (and really closer to 200ppm) which would make the water unhealthy to swim in for large mammals and humans. Above 100ppm, there could be chronic toxic effects on very small children (babies) and pets (dogs or cats) that might accidentally (or intentionally) ingest pool water...”

Reactions: Xwoman2010

“… Are Borates an Algaecide?

While Borates tend to have a minimal effect as an algaecide one shouldn’t utilize them to prevent algae. The boron concentration that that is required to noticeably reduce the risk of algae[8] is far higher than what is generally considered safe so we generally don’t utilize them to prevent algae, we only focus on the benefits for buffering pH changes.

What are the algaestatic properties of borates

The algaestatic properties of borates is over-stated at 50ppm. Borates act more as an "inhibitor" than biocidal agent. In other words, the presence of boron in the water at 50ppm interferes with certain cellular processes going on inside the algae (likely inhibiting key enzymes that contain diol organic structures). By causing this interference, the algae is either slowed in it's replication or it's reproduction is stopped.[9]

Borates only become truly algaestatic at concentrations above 100ppm (and really closer to 200ppm) which would make the water unhealthy to swim in for large mammals and humans. Above 100ppm, there could be chronic toxic effects on very small children (babies) and pets (dogs or cats) that might accidentally (or intentionally) ingest pool water...”
Thank you.

Closing late (after the water is around 60 degrees) & opening early (before the water gets much above 60 degrees) along with bringing fc to slam level for your cya before closing will have more of an effect on not opening to a swamp than borates will. You can also shore your bets with polyquat 60 for insurance after fc falls below slam level if you wish. Mesh covers don’t have to automatically = spring swamp. Adequate fc levels & water temp have the most to do with it. I personally use borates for various reasons but they’re likely not going to be the magic bullet you’re hoping for in this case.
Doing some periodic fc checks throughout the closed season can go a long way as well, especially if there are some little heat waves. Also doing your best to keep debris removed from the cover before it starts to decompose is helpful.

Here’s the closing guide that helps most here to not open to such a headache in the spring 👇

Also, here’s a thread with some good conversation about closing with mesh covers👇

Hope that helps 😊

The short answer is no, borax or borates will not be the thing that will insure a crystal clear pool when opening in the spring. It is also not the thing that will keep your pool crystal clear during the swim season. A proper CYA/chlorine balance is going to give you that. Great advice above on ways to help you get there already.

I made a mistake and asked the same question in another group
Sounds like you have been hanging around the wrong pool group haha! I think you will find this group is quite helpful on all pool related topics.

Also, on the topic of borates, there are some great threads about the use, pros, cons, and best practices around here. But just one point, you mentioned Borax in the thread title, and asked about 50ppm of borates. Borax (the household cleaner) is fine for raising PH and TA, but if you are looking to add borates to the pool for the feel, and chemical balance of PH/TA, you will want to look for granular boric acid, and not use Borax to get you there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.