Tile crack

jkxpooldesign

Jun 27, 2019
Florida
I recently noticed a new crack in my waterline tile that I believe was not there before. Is this something I need to be concerned about ? Any recommendation on remediation?

TIA for your advice.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those glass tiles?

How old?

Glass tiles tend to crack more then ceramic tiles. The location and shape of the crack does not look like the bond beam cracks that would be concerning.

I would drain the water level down and put some pool grout over the crack to waterproof it. It may not look pretty but I doubt anyone will be looking closely at that area underwater.

Let's see what @AQUA~HOLICS thinks.

Last edited:
From the picture provided I can’t see any continuation of the crack on either side past the single tile.
At this point in time it may be an isolated incident with no underlying structural damage.
Typically the grout will show signs of cracking before the tile when movement is involved.

Those glass tiles?

How old?

Glass tiles tend to crack more then ceramic tiles. The location and shape of the crack does not look like the bond beam cracks that would be concerning.

I would drain the water level down and put some pool grout over the crack to waterproof it. It may not look pretty but I doubt anyone will be looking closely at that area underwater.

Let's see what @AQUA~HOLICS thinks.
Thank you for the advice. I could try that but the crack is so fine that I can barely feel it with my finger nail so im not sure grout would work. I was thinking maybe silicone caulk?

Pool is about 4 years old.

From the picture provided I can’t see any continuation of the crack on either side past the single tile.
At this point in time it may be an isolated incident with no underlying structural damage.
Typically the grout will show signs of cracking before the tile when movement is involved.

As far as I can tell grout looks solid. I took a fine brush to it just to see if any part of the grout would come off and it didn’t. No other tile seems to be impacted.

Thank you for the advice. I could try that but the crack is so fine that I can barely feel it with my finger nail so im not sure grout would work. I was thinking maybe silicone caulk?

I would not use silicone caulk.

If the crack is tight then leave it as is.

Reactions: jkxpooldesign