Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei

My salt is likely fine, the drop test was probably a little unscientific today because I was in a hurry.

PH was around 8 last week, so I worked to bring that down. If I recall, that brings alkalinity up. With a SWG, I expect the PH to work its way up this week while I am traveling for work. In addition, my wife will be adding some water, and we tend to keep the hose not submerged. If I am correct, this will also increase the PH through aeration.

Should I do something to bring TA down? I am slowly working CYA up so as not to overdo it. I intend to keep working upward with liquid stabilizer as time goes on.

I have bumped my SWG up to 100% thanks to advice from @mknauss on the sizing of my cell. I ran my cell for 24 hours, and then began a transition to running it during the day. This seems to be helping me to maintain chlorine. Due to the undersized cell, I am shocking every 1-2 weeks.

Based on these results, would you recommend doing anything differently?

Last edited:
Based on these results, would you recommend doing anything differently?
Liquid CYA is real tricky when not using the full jug. The goods clump up on the bottom and you pour water, water, mostly water, *why doesn't this WORK????*, waaaaay too much. It's also a couple times more expensive than granuals.

Your TA is close enough. Keep the Ph in the 7s and the TA will come down and settle where it wants to be.

Also, don't read between the lines for CYA. It's logarithmic and not linear, so we round up. As such, only fill to the lines.

I'd figure out how many FC you're short and add LC daily to supplement the SWG, or every other day once I got a groove going. If you wait too long with low FC, it will bite you.

PH was around 8 last week, so I worked to bring that down. If I recall, that brings alkalinity up. With a SWG, I expect the PH to work its way up this week while I am traveling for work.
Lowering pH also lowers TA. Once TA is in it’s happy place (50-70 typically), the pH will change very infrequently.
No need to chase/fight TA, just watch pH. Once pH gets back to 8, hit it with Muriatic acid, which in turns lowers TA.

Thanks, guys. Sounds like you agree with my path so far (please correct me if not). On the CYA, I did wind up using a full gallon.

As a noob, I first used granular CYA and panicked when I didn’t get it dissolved enough before pouring it in. I didn’t like the look of those granules sitting on a vinyl liner. As a result, I went to the “liquid” (quotes since there are still some granules in there).

Thanks for the tip on not chasing TA. I will keep that in mind as I go forward. Do you recommend diluting or slowly adding MA?

I didn’t like the look of those granules sitting on a vinyl liner.
Tie it up in a sock, carrot on a stick like, in front of a working return. Some time later it will be mush and squeeze out in 5 mins.
Sounds like you agree with my path so far (please correct me if not)
Manage the Ph (keep it in the 7s), disregard the TA

Only measure '10s' for CYA and continue to creep up to 70.

Use LC to ensure you stay free and clear of min FC, when the SWG doesn't keep up.

Apologies if this is ridiculous, but we have a few gallons of bleach laying around from my wife’s COVID over reactions.

Can I use that to sanitize?

That’s great information. Thanks for sharing!
Be careful of that though! If the bleach is Clorox or something with fancy “technology” like chloromax, scents, fabric softeners, you don’t want it in the pool. It has to be plain bleach.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.