Thoughts on bio-active cya reducer

I live in the Central Valley of California where we are enduring historic drought conditions, so dumping pool water to lower CYA levels is not an option. This will be the fourth summer we've had our 13 x 24 ft plaster in ground pool. It's been a learning experience! Last year it seemed that I couldn't add enough chlorine to deter algae. Apparently my profligate use of trichlor pucks was what pushed my CYA count so high. Anyway, I was delighted to learn about Bio-Active, and have decided to try it. (And yes, I see by recent posts that it doesn't seem to do miracles.

I slammed my pool last week and now have alkalinity at 100, pH at 7.2. FC and CC read 1.0. CYA, measured by diluting it 2:1, is 170 ppm. I will add another gallon of 12 pct chlorine tonite and add the enzymes tomorrow. I will report results whenever I have some.

(13,000 gallon plaster in-ground pool, new Sta-rite Intellipro 3.0 HP pump, Crystal Water 425 ft/m cartridge filter, Polaris 360 Crawler)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please review the instructions on the product if you have any hope for it working. If you raise the FC up more, it may be too high and kill the enzymes.

I live in the Central Valley of California where we are enduring historic drought conditions, so dumping pool water to lower CYA levels is not an option. This will be the fourth summer we've had our 13 x 24 ft plaster in ground pool. It's been a learning experience! Last year it seemed that I couldn't add enough chlorine to deter algae. Apparently my profligate use of trichlor pucks was what pushed my CYA count so high. Anyway, I was delighted to learn about Bio-Active, and have decided to try it. (And yes, I see by recent posts that it doesn't seem to do miracles.

I slammed my pool last week and now have alkalinity at 100, pH at 7.2. FC and CC read 1.0. CYA, measured by diluting it 2:1, is 170 ppm. I will add another gallon of 12 pct chlorine tonite and add the enzymes tomorrow. I will report results whenever I have some.

(13,000 gallon plaster in-ground pool, new Sta-rite Intellipro 3.0 HP pump, Crystal Water 425 ft/m cartridge filter, Polaris 360 Crawler)

Poolmath is showing adding that much chlorine will raise your FC to 9. If you already added it you'll need to wait until your chlorine is at least down to 3ppm. No one has reported algae growth while treating with bioactive so as long as you keep your chlorine low (don't add any) you shouldn't have an algae issue during treatment.

I was hopeful on this product because i too live in California and don't want to drain my pool. I just got a notice in the mail for mandatory water reduction and was given a maximum water allotment of 16ccf or 12k gallons for 2 months April and May. My CYA is at about 250pm and i've been fighting with an algae bloom for weeks now and was really hoping this could solve my problem. I may just need buy a few of these these bags and a slight 25% partial water replacement to back to normal. I'll shower at the gym, eat on paper plates, and forego my lawn for the summer (Going to paint it green with bio paint :) ) to get a manageable pool with my allotments of water. The fines are not too bad yet, but they will escalate based on how many times you go over.:ncool:

Well, it looks like I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum! 27K gal pool, CYA was about 150, using chlorine bleach, struggling to keep FC levels up adding 1 gal/day, pump running 24 hrs/day at 28 GPM. All other chem levels are in the slot.

I used an 8 oz. pack of the Bio-Active, 1 day later my CYA was 0!! Dang, this stuff works better than I hoped. Adding 2 gal bleach/day and a chlorine puck floater trying to stay sanitized. 4 days later, starting to see a little CYA show up (about 20).

Gonna call the folks that make this stuff and see what I can expect in a week. With proper management this might be the missing ingredient in managing my pool!

150 ppm CYA in 27,000 gallons is 34 lbs of CYA. 8 oz of bioactive is more than 95% dextrose and only about a gram of bacteria. The weight of cyanuric acid is 15,000 times the weight of the bacteria.

If bacteria really could consume and digest 15,000 times their weight in CYA, they should make a movie about it.

If it doesn't make sense, it's not true. -Judge Judy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
150 ppm CYA in 27,000 gallons is 34 lbs of CYA. 8 oz of bioactive is more than 95% dextrose and only about a gram of bacteria. The weight of cyanuric acid is 15,000 times the weight of the bacteria.

If bacteria really could consume and digest 15,000 times their weight in CYA, they should make a movie about it.

Bacteria reproduce by fission into two daughter cells, sometimes in as little as 20 minutes. Allowing for an initial lag phase of 4 hours and a 30min doubling time that's 1gms - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 etc. etc. - 32,768gms (72lbs) of bacteria in 12 hours. Or 249,889,006,312,727lbs in 24 hours. Of cause that level of reproduction will never occur but it does make the story more plausible.

We have studied this particular process and there is a small amount of multiplication that occurs after dosing however in microbiological terms it is not significant and essentially it is the organism content that is originally dosed to the pool that does the work.
Trouble Free Pool (Person claiming to represent bioactive)
This was posted by Jose.

I would think that you would need quite a substantial amount of growth in order for this to work, the figures just don't add up otherwise. Microbial growth is measured more as population growth rather than individual cell growth. CYA provides both a carbon and nitrogen source for the bacteria, it provides carbon for growth and an energy source.

The theoretical growth is never achievable and in this case as the level of nutrient, CYA, decreases so would the growth rate which is why you would never truly get an overall concentration throughout the pool at zero but it could still be possible to get a sample with a zero concentration near an area of high activity.

When it comes to microbes there are just too many variables to be certain of anything, the microbes don't read books and forums like we do. I had read about microbial applications for cleaning up oil spills, in the labs initial testing was very promising but it failed in the field. I think the microbial processing of CYA has merit for some but doubt any two applications will have the same outcome.

Dang - sorry I wasn't here to defend my results. I'm no expert on any of this stuff, but have made a living observing and trying to make sense of things. I'm simply reporting my observations, make of them what you will.

The 20 ppm of CYA seems to have been a flash in the pan, I agree that floating a stack of pucks for a little while would have little effect. But 1 1/2 weeks later my CYA is still at 0. Yes, still 0, and for whatever reason that result was realized overnight. If this is impossible, and I believe you folks know enough to claim that with authority, can you help me understand why performing the same test 1 day apart with the same kit and chemicals yields such drastically different results?

I'm a little frustrated that it went that low, product info says it should only drop to about 30-50 as I recall.

I don't have a stake in this product, but am happy to have an alternative available that prevents from from draining and refilling due to CYA buildup. Gonna give it another few days and try to start building up my CYA to around 40.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

I not sure I would go with a magic stew, isn't magic misdirection.:stirpot: ;)

There's a couple of things that could be going on here shooter. Firstly the testing method and variation. It's always a possibility and the CYA test is quite subjective. If you could get a CYA standard solution to verify your test it would add confidence.

Secondly we're talking about the enzymatic or microbial conversion of CYA, and with all things microbial there's no guarantees, every application will have a unique set of environmental conditions that will a ultimately affect the outcome in a multitude of different ways. Looking at the patent and safety data sheet a lot of money has been invested in this product.

The patent and safety data sheet indicate that the product is 0.1 - 1.0% viable cultures of Bacillus sp. Bacillus sp. are endospore forming but endospores are normally formed due to low nutrient levels, these cultures were freeze dried and ground to 100 micron which is designed to release cellular enzymes. B. subtilises are rod shaped at 4 -10 micron long X 0.25 - 1 micron in diameter so it's highly likely that the grinding process does leave a considerable amount of cells intact.

It's unclear from the patent if the CYA conversion or mediation is from direct enzyme interaction or from microbial conversion or mediation, the reader is left to think it is both. Commercial preparation of bacterial enzymes feeds the aerobic fermentation process of Bacillus sp. with glycerol as a carbon source and glutamic acid as a nitrogen source so I assume CYA is being consumed or converted as a nitrogen source by the bacteria when activated or active.

I believe it is possible that you have a bacteria bloom or an active bacteria culture that will continue to consume your CYA. Now that your CYA tests at zero I would rule out the possibility of an active bacterial culture by super chlorination, slam, or maybe even a non chlorine oxidising agent to kill or sanitise it. I wouldn't be using pucks in a low rainfall, drought affected area that may have water restrictions.

Thanks AU. Lots to consider there.

Is there any (convenient?) way of checking for bacteria? Or would doing a super-chlorination based on suspicion just be easier? What would you recommend for a 27Kgal pool?

I appreciate the assist, and hope you're esky remains full of stubbies even into your winter ;]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.