theory vs practice - filling a pool

You're over-thinking this. If you want to know the gallonage then check the meter before and after the fill and that should be within a few hundred gallons (including whatever you've used throughout the fill). The trouble with the 5 gallon bucket method is that your water pressure and flow likely fluctuate significantly throughout the day based on the demand of you and your neighbors.

Your biggest concern should be filling the pool as quickly as possible.

You can also use your home water meter. We just got digital ones which are easy to use.

A few years back our water company installed the WiFi electronic units that their trucks use to read the meters. They still have the old mechanical dial meter in place. I need to get a signal analyzer out there and try to pick up the Wifi signal...would be neat if they actually developed an app for customers to use to see daily stats. I've had several irrigation leaks go unnoticed until I got a whopping water bill. Could have headed that off with a little real time data....but I'm guessing that's not a problem FOR THEM... [emoji35]

You're over-thinking this. If you want to know the gallonage then check the meter before and after the fill and that should be within a few hundred gallons (including whatever you've used throughout the fill). The trouble with the 5 gallon bucket method is that your water pressure and flow likely fluctuate significantly throughout the day based on the demand of you and your neighbors.

Your biggest concern should be filling the pool as quickly as possible.

The main goal is more to get an idea of how long the pool will take to fill. Hopefully that will happen next week. Really this is just a sort of hobby there is nothing I can do about it one way or the other. However, I will check my meter before and after to see how many gallons the pool took to fill. At this point it is just a guess. But I think I am looking at 2 days to fill it.

I just had my 33k pool replastered. It took me about 2.5 days and I have great pressure. I used two hoses, but not sure if it helped as the water from the second hose was just a trickle.

When the water was still in the deep end, water back flowed from the deep end back through the system and out of one of my skimmers. By the time I noticed it, it was too late and now I have a water stain from my shallow end skimmer down into the deep end. I was able to get it stop by switching the values, but it was too late as my plaster is stained.

Well with all the theories and methods I just put two hoses in my pool and let 'em rip. I then walked to my water meter and timed how much water flowed in 1 minute. Roughly 13 gallons. So it will take roughly 38 hours to flow 30k gallons. The puts my fill done at 5am on Thursday. Of course this assumes a constant flow, which I doubt will happen. But nevertheless it'll be interesting!

My calculations are showing around 1000 gallons/hour. You can look at my pics (sig-line) and look at picture info to see what time each picture was taken and do the math. At this rate it will be only around 30 hours or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.