The TFP Name the Shock Process Contest Finals

Please pick a winner for the Rename the Shock Process contest

• Total voters
Here's my take on the term "SLAM". I like it! It's catchy, I understand it, it flows out of the mouth nicely. The issue is however I understand the shock process. To a new user whom has never read pool school (the reason the term is being changed) I can see where the word "Shock" could toss many off. I could see many new users taking this term as meaning "take a bag of SHOCK and keep adding it until its clear". We see this daily with users new to the site seeking help....."I shocked the pool as the store told me to, and now I kept shocking it as the site suggested."

Now if the S could be changed to another word....... Say Sanitizer, then I LOVE it!!

To me, the good thing about SLAM is the reference to Shock Level, which dovetails nicely with the CYA/FC chart as it currently exists. The negatives on SLAM is that "maintain" doesn't necessarily drive home that it needs to remain at Shock Level for a prolonged time - could just as easily mean go to Shock Level once and then maintain the pool per normal.

I like CLEAR because it emphasizes the need to Repeat the chlorine elevations. The only negative to CLEAR I see is there might be a product now or someday that is called Pool Clear or something and we'd end up in the same boat as with "shock." However, I know of no such product, and the fact that CLEAR is an acronym that describes the process will help avoid any such confusion and perhaps not be confusing like continued references to "shock" have been.

I like ICE the best because it contains the one element that trumps everything else. Informed: know your test results; know what chemicals do what to your pool; know your CYA; know your pool -- without that information, no process will reliably clear your pool. It naturally directs people who find this site to stick around and get informed through Pool School before they just dump in some bag off a shelf. Being Informed is the hallmark of good, cheap, reliable pool care.

Now we know that Crek31 likes the winning entries. I would hope so, since they're his/hers! :goodjob:

Now lets get some more votes going. 50,000 members and only 50-some votes? That's only 1/10 of 1 percent. Not nearly enough!

Vote, Vote, Vote!

crek31 said:
To me, the good thing about SLAM is the reference to Shock Level, which dovetails nicely with the CYA/FC chart as it currently exists. The negatives on SLAM is that "maintain" doesn't necessarily drive home that it needs to remain at Shock Level for a prolonged time - could just as easily mean go to Shock Level once and then maintain the pool per normal.

I like CLEAR because it emphasizes the need to Repeat the chlorine elevations. The only negative to CLEAR I see is there might be a product now or someday that is called Pool Clear or something and we'd end up in the same boat as with "shock." However, I know of no such product, and the fact that CLEAR is an acronym that describes the process will help avoid any such confusion and perhaps not be confusing like continued references to "shock" have been.

I like ICE the best because it contains the one element that trumps everything else. Informed: know your test results; know what chemicals do what to your pool; know your CYA; know your pool -- without that information, no process will reliably clear your pool. It naturally directs people who find this site to stick around and get informed through Pool School before they just dump in some bag off a shelf. Being Informed is the hallmark of good, cheap, reliable pool care.

Logic here changed my vote.

alanpaul said:
HarleySilo,
Had you already voted before, and how did you change it?
I didn't know that it was possible to do that.

you can go back to first page at the top of the thread, and click a different selection and hit vote again. It just switches your vote. Rules said we can up unitl last day of voting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My suggestion was STP for "Sanitize The Pool" so for me SLAM was most similar. It's an aggressive term and doesn't really have a "meaning" as it relates to pools CLEAR is what we want our water to be.

OK, we're all a little surprised that one entrant got the top 3 picks.
But then we have to understand how the system and how human nature works.

[I was involved in this kind of process as part of my career and have had to explain it to many surprised entrants and voters.]

Selections like these are based on recognized criteria plus personal taste.
Different people will always select different favorite books, movies, TV shows, artwork, mates, jobs, etc.

As much as all judges try to be objective to purpose and value (criteria) in any judgment, the result will always be subjective, based somewhat on personality, likes, and dislikes (taste). That's simply human, and unavoidable.

In this case, the judges and the winner were on the same wavelength or using a similar basic thought process; that's the explanation.
Criteria plus taste.

Of course, the more judges, the more democratic the selection, but not necessarily the best and appropriate selection, so more judges doesn't guarantee a successful outcome at all.

A random selection is fairer, but much, much less useful, and generally completely unusable.

So you go with the best system you can: An informed group of people narrow it down, and then offer their favorite choices to the greater group for final selection.

So, vote, please. Everybody! :cheers:

alanpaul said:
OK, we're all a little surprised that one entrant got the top 3 picks.
But then we have to understand how the system and how human nature works.

[I was involved in this kind of process as part of my career and have had to explain it to many surprised entrants and voters.]

Selections like these are based on recognized criteria plus personal taste.
Different people will always select different favorite books, movies, TV shows, artwork, mates, jobs, etc.

As much as all judges try to be objective to purpose and value (criteria) in any judgment, the result will always be subjective, based somewhat on personality, likes, and dislikes (taste). That's simply human, and unavoidable.

In this case, the judges and the winner were on the same wavelength or using a similar basic thought process; that's the explanation.
Criteria plus taste.

Of course, the more judges, the more democratic the selection, but not necessarily the best and appropriate selection, so more judges doesn't guarantee a successful outcome at all.

A random selection is fairer, but much, much less useful, and generally completely unusable.

So you go with the best system you can: An informed group of people narrow it down, and then offer their favorite choices to the greater group for final selection.
:cheers:

Very analytical but you overlooked bribery. :party: :party: (For those of you with ZERO sense of humor, the words to the left of the parenthesis are a JOKE. A JOKE, OK?) Now get out there and vote! :mrgreen:

Sorry crek, but I only liked SLAM of those choices. Good job on the entries!

It's more than a little disappointing we have a measly 56 votes people. I know, it's a holiday weekend, but there has been plenty of action here so far this 4th of July.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.