The Quest of Iron Man

Tgreely

Feb 24, 2023
Massachusetts
Filled pool with about 6500 gallons of well water (garden hose with 1 micron whole house filter) at opening this year, and I really thought it worked! Once I got my filter setup and running and balanced PH I began my SLAM…and the whole pool turned brown in about 5 hours. Now I’ve got a skimmer sock full of polyfill in the skimmer and I’m running a sump pump to the whole house filter with a new 1 micron sediment filter that then goes into a polyfill filter I built. I’ve got 8 bags of polyfill ready to swap out, a fresh bag of DE, and 4 more of the 1 micron sediment filters ready to go. Fingers crossed….

Please re-assure me that this will work! SLAM levels are right on point but the brown water is driving me insane.

Attachments

• 8F80F4EB-1B7A-48AB-A2E4-1EECBBDD4D87.jpeg
    8F80F4EB-1B7A-48AB-A2E4-1EECBBDD4D87.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 455CCF40-965E-4E18-8878-994F3C948E53.jpeg
    455CCF40-965E-4E18-8878-994F3C948E53.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP.

This thread describes how a 5 gallon bucket filled with polyfill was rigged to the pool ladder with some string, a couple dozen 1/4” holes drilled into the bucket, and a large hole drilled into the bottom of the bucket to filter a pool that did not have skimmers.

Polyfill_Bucket_Iron_Filter.jpg

Filled pool with about 6500 gallons of well water (garden hose with 1 micron whole house filter) at opening this year, and I really thought it worked! Once I got my filter setup and running and balanced PH I began my SLAM…and the whole pool turned brown in about 5 hours. Now I’ve got a skimmer sock full of polyfill in the skimmer and I’m running a sump pump to the whole house filter with a new 1 micron sediment filter that then goes into a polyfill filter I built. I’ve got 8 bags of polyfill ready to swap out, a fresh bag of DE, and 4 more of the 1 micron sediment filters ready to go. Fingers crossed….

Please re-assure me that this will work! SLAM levels are right on point but the brown water is driving me insane.
High mineral content probably. Try a couple gallons of 7.5% or higher bleach, don't use the bleach if it doesn't have percentage shown, pour in slowly after the sun goes down with the pump on. As long as your chlorine levels are right this should work after a couple nights! The bleach works differently then chlorine, it works right away then goes away, chlorine is slower, stays in the water longer. Anyway this got my pool back to sparkling clear water after 2 nights! )Oh and run your pump 24/7 for a few days too. Hope it helps!

Check the label. They are both Sodium Hyperchlorite. Chlorine is chlorine.
The difference is pool chlorine also contains stabilizers, which is meant to make the chlorine work for a longer period of time without breaking down in the sun. But also can end up decreasing it's ability to kill algae resulting in a cloudy pool. 7.4% bleach added to the pool after sunset works instantly to sanitize the pool clearing up the water. It's not meant to be anything but immediate so there are no stabilizers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Liquid chlorine and beach are the same thing at different percentages.
If you are talking solid forms of chlorine, those contain either calcium (CalHypo) or CYA (trichlor or dichlor).

Bleach usually comes in percentages less than 8% and liquid chlorine is usually either 10% or 12.5%.

"Pool chlorine" isn't really a thing. Chorine is a gas and needs to be bound to something. For liquid chlorine, that thing is water. For solid forms of chlorine, that is either CYA or calcium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.