The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

Glad to see the advice here is helping.
Thanks for the advise, but I guess chlorine is more expensive here in Reno. There was a $14 deposit, individual gallons are $7.99 and the 4 pack is $17.99. At 12.5% its 1 1/2 times the 8.25% clorox I buy at Sam's Club for 3/$9.47. So roughly $.50 a gallon more at Sam's. The lady who helped said the HASA was a purer product, is that so?

"purer" just in the sense that it's a higher concentration of chlorine so you use less; otherwise there shouldn't be a real difference. The Clorox jugs are 121oz (vs 128 for the HASA), right? Pouring 64 ounces of 8.25% into the pool is the same as pouring 42 ounces of 12.5% -- or another way, 4 jugs of 12.5% is equivalent to 6.4 jugs of Clorox (if 121oz). Your prices are a bit higher, but by my math:

Sam's Clorox: $9.47/363oz/8.25% = 31.6 cents per ounce of chlorine
Pool store: $17.99/512oz/12.5% = 28.1 cents per ounce of chlorine

So the HASA would be 11% cheaper if I did the math right. Might be worth it if it's on your way, but nothing wrong with buying where convenient if not.

sMpXT7Xl.jpg

qSqCpQ8l.jpg

I hope this works!!
First pic is 7/4/15 second pic is 7/7/15

Good morning. Yes, that was taken at the same spot. Yes I think it looks better too.

Thank you Cowboycasey, took me a while cuz I was trying to do it on my ipad and it took so long to upload the pics I thought it was stalling. Then I had to figure out how to copy the BBcode since it didn't copy just by tap and hold like it usually does, had to mess with the two little blue dots blah blah blah:blah:......was going crazy but I think I got it now, thank you!!

BTW, during that whole process of checking photobucket, imagur, and tapatalk I realized there are jillions of posts out there with all kinds of questions and problems in TFP land and you guys seem to get to all of us!!! What a caring and dedicated bunch!! Thank you so much :salut:

@ 5:55am FC=14.5, CC=1.0 (CC went up by .5 overnight)
Losing FC at a much slower rate but still losing. Just keep up the SLAM? Should I take it higher than 16?

You are doing great, and its working.. You will lose FC at a slower rate as you go, the last 10% is the slowest and also the hardest for people because they want it to be done :)

You can take your FC up to 20 if you want, the longer you keep it above 16 the better, it will get easier I promise.. :)

Keep up the SLAM until you pass OCLT, it may be soon

We have had SEVERE thunder storms for the last three days, flash floods in some areas of town. Pretty torrential at our house, garage got a little flooded, pool full to overflowing. I know this sounds silly but can I continue the SLAM under these conditions? Its raining softly now. FC=15, CC=1.0. I've been adding Clorox to FC20. Just continue with the plan?

you can continue, you will need to drain some water, therefore bleach, so drain before adding to 20 and you will be fine... I cant wait till you get a nice sunny day and see the differance :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
absolutely continue slamming.
Rain makes very little difference in pool chemisty. Depenidng on a few things, the pH may go up very slightly, but that's all.
regardless of pool industry gossip, rain does not mess up pool chemistry.

Looks like your making some great progress... nice job!

Personally speaking, I'd wait until the water is clean and properly balanced. Fight one problem at a time.

What do you propose for testing, Jack's Magic Stain ID Kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally speaking, I'd wait until the water is clean and properly balanced. Fight one problem at a time.

What do you propose for testing, Jack's Magic Stain ID Kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think she should continue with the SLAM and when the water is good and balanced then go after the stains :)

If the Vitiman C or the trichlor puck does nothing then the next best thing would be Jack's from what I have seen from everyone here...

OH NO!!!!!! This morning it looks like all the stains are back....and more!! No kidding, I know I'm not imagining this. Now they are creeping into the one clear spot (there was a large area that was "stain free" from pretty much the beginning, but now its being taken over). I tried brushing hoping it was just dead algae but it made no difference. I've been testing and trying to keep the FC over 16 but it falls to 14 or 15 when I'm at work or overnight. Pump and robot have been on 24/7. Could the daily torrential thunderstorms have something to do with it? I noticed that the CC went up by .5 to 1.0 during this period.
Have you heard of this happening?

@5:45 am FC=16 CC=.5

Check your pH. If the torrential rains raised the pH too high that could cause the stains to reappear. Normally we don't test pH during a slam because you will get a false high reading. Before the next chlorine addition check pH as well and report back.

some rain water could have had some debris or dirt or something blew into the pool to raise your CC up 0.5.. You are keeping it above 16 fc 90% of the time and that is great, your almost done with the SLAM, I think your really really close...

Once you are done we can work on the stains, the problem is the stains are NOT getting worse, you are being able to see them clearly because your pool is becoming clear, the water is probably better and clearer than it has ever been and you are seeing everything...

Just keep doing exactly what you ahve been and I promise we will get to the stains once your water is sparkly clean :)

u28Y7Unl.jpg

j45QijSl.jpg

First pic is from the same spot from previous posts from 7/4 and 7/7.
Second pic is of stains creeping iinto clear area. The turtle was much cleaner and the area to the immediate and lower right was clear but stains are creeping in.

- - - Updated - - -

Check your pH. If the torrential rains raised the pH too high that could cause the stains to reappear. Normally we don't test pH during a slam because you will get a false high reading. Before the next chlorine addition check pH as well and report back.

Rats, I added chlorine before I read your post. Leaving for work in 30 min, can I check pH then? Or is it too soon after adding chlorine? (I added to bring to FC20)

i just downloaded the photos from 4-4, 4-7 and 4-9 they look the same except 4-4 and 4-7 look like there was sun directly on the pool.. they look the same on my screen... Your PH may have come up some but we really do not want to drop below SLAM to a fc of 9 right now when you are close to being done... Thats why we are recommending to keep SLAMing and we will do the stains afterwards...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.