Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Opened the cover to this, not too bad. Dusty/Dirty. We can handle this.

PXL_20230516_114041748.jpg

After a lot of vacuuming and scrubbing.

PXL_20230516_162159803.jpg

PXL_20230516_213937692.jpg

Liquid Chlorine added. Let it run 24H before sample.

PXL_20230516_213937692.jpg

Balanced pH, and topped off chlorine. But my TA is high due to Fill Water. Drop pH to 7.0

PXL_20230517_173255713.jpg

And, time to aerate.

PXL_20230517_235656550.jpg

Thanks for all the information on the forum. My very first opening ever was simple! Appreciate you all.

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

pH back up to 7.6, gonna drop back to 7.2

I'm gonna wait 15 minutes for no hotspots, but can I immediately aerate again?

pH back up to 7.6, gonna drop back to 7.2

I'm gonna wait 15 minutes for no hotspots, but can I immediately aerate again?
Just to make sure - TA is not something you have to tackle quickly. When TA is high, pH will rise. You add acid, it lowers, until you find it’s happy place.

It’s not like FC where it’s do or die - so if you’re adding acid, aerating to rise and causing yourself trouble - don’t, it’s not needed.

You can take weeks to lower TA, if needed.

Just to make sure - TA is not something you have to tackle quickly. When TA is high, pH will rise. You add acid, it lowers, until you find it’s happy place.

It’s not like FC where it’s do or die - so if you’re adding acid, aerating to rise and causing yourself trouble - don’t, it’s not needed.

You can take weeks to lower TA, if needed.
I'd like to get a handle on it before I switch on my newly installed salt cell. Also, I'm living the DINK & WFH life. So, I do what I can when I can. 😎

I do understand, it's a process and can take days or even weeks. But we'll see how long it takes with fast iteration... Heh.

I'd like to get a handle on it before I switch on my newly installed salt cell. Also, I'm living the DINK & WFH life. So, I do what I can when I can. 😎

I do understand, it's a process and can take days or even weeks. But we'll see how long it takes with fast iteration... Heh.
I am the same way. BUT, switching on the salt cell is a separate issue than managing TA.

All good with the reduce pH/TA with MA, and aerate to raise pH...but you can turn on the SWCG and maintain FC, while you are reducing TA to reduce the pH rise.

I am the same way. BUT, switching on the salt cell is a separate issue than managing TA.

All good with the reduce pH/TA with MA, and aerate to raise pH...but you can turn on the SWCG and maintain FC, while you are reducing TA to reduce the pH rise.
Nice. I'll plan to add salt, and switch on the SWCG today or tomorrow then. Looking forward to not having to stock dozens of gallons of Liquid Chlorine. 🤩

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
400lbs of Diamond Crystal Pellets in. Pulled the MSDS on it, and I'm used to using it. Went well, let it sit for 20-minutes, swept, let it sit for 20-minutes and I couldn't see it anymore. Swept again for good measure, now the robot is in.

Will let circulate for 24H then it's time for a reading. Got two more 50lb bags on standby.

Reactions: Newdude
So. Should I be concerned about running a negative CSI for days while trying to lower TA?

Thanks.
Users shouldn’t stress if their CSI falls out of the “safe range” as it takes a long time for any problems to occur.

Users shouldn’t stress if their CSI falls out of the “safe range” as it takes a long time for any problems to occur.

Good to know. I'm going to do one more cycle of muriatic today and take a break for the weekend while family comes over. Will restart my war against alkalinity next week! :cautious:

What is the TA of your fill water?
So. At 35 drops, it turns partially red in my smart stir. At 39 drops it's fully red. So 360-390. BigOof.

Also, what is the significance of 'wiping with a damp cloth after every drop'... I haven't been because it's tedious. Heh

Also, what is the significance of 'wiping with a damp cloth after every drop'... I haven't been because it's tedious. Heh
Yeah, that is REAAAALY high..highest I've seen. You will be in permanent aeration city. Do you have a solar cover? I would get one. It will greatly reduce evaporation and the need for fill water.

The tip gets a static charge because of the acid, changing the drop size. Wiping eliminates it. Do you hold your reagents vertical? Do you let the drops form and drop on their own, or do you quickly squeeze the out?

One more comment. I need to up my CYA. I literally just removed my PB installed Puck Feeder and replaced it with my SWCG.

I'm now considering buying some TriChlor, and a floater. As this can have the dual benefit adding CYA and being Acidic. Thoughts?

Yeah, that is REAAAALY high..highest I've seen. You will be in permanent aeration city. Do you have a solar cover? I would get one. It will greatly reduce evaporation and the need for fill water.

The tip gets a static charge because of the acid, changing the drop size. Wiping eliminates it. Do you hold your reagents vertical? Do you let the drops form and drop on their own, or do you quickly squeeze the out?
I typically hold vertical, and let the drop form in its own. Each drop distinct, not a string of drops.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.