TF100 Arrived!!!! help! 7/2 CLOUDY AGAIN :(

Ok. Seen your recent post indicating 7.8 It'll probably take that whole jug to get somewhat near 7.2 The acid you have is supposed to fume less and be somewhat safer than regular muriatic acid.

Regardless, there's safety precautions that should be taken into account with both kinds. I don't mix mine with water in a bucket but some folks do. In that case you always add acid to water and never water to acid. For instance: You put a couple gallons of water in a bucket and add your recommended amount of acid to the bucket of water.

You want to be upwind so any fumes are blowing away from you and not towards you. Some people wear safety glasses and rubber gloves. If you want to be technical, safety glasses are a poor substitute for goggles and a face shield.

Ok, now that I've probably frightened you it's time to relax. :) Take that jug and hold it front of the return in the water. Push it down so the cap is a couple inches above the water. Uncap it, and slowly tilt the jug so it pours and only has to go a half inch or so to hit the water with no splashing. Remember this is in front of the return so the water is pushing it out into the pool.

Guestimate and pour a little more than half into the pool. Recap and let your pool water mix for 30 minutes and retest. I would say it's going to take the whole jug but I've never used the so called safer stuff. But it's good to get in the habit of proper handling and under dosing to avoid problems of over shooting.

Oh yeah forgot to add that when you take the cap off dunk it under water to rinse any acid clinging to the cap. I had a few spots on my old ABG pool from putting the cap on the rail upside down.

Hi Jill, I was out all day but you got good info from above threads. Just stay with lowering the PH with the acid. You have homeowner friendly acid ( I think) probably 15% not full strengh 30%. Use the drop down arrow to change your acid to the 15% choice in the calculator.

That acid is 25% (and change, no matter). Use the Pool Calculator for 31.45%, add 10% more and put it in. Test in an hour.

It may be a little off, but not so far off that you can't put a little more in, wait, and test again to be sure. When I said it's a bear to calculate for, and was inaccurate... that means it didn't hit me spot ON a few times when I used this method. It's not the end of the world if you don't hit it spot on though, and it's close enough for your purposes.

When I add acid, I actually plunk the jug down in the water so the water supports alot of the weight (keeping the mouth of the jug well above the water) and then tip it over so the acid pours out (still keeping the mouth above the water) and almost never get splashes or "glugging" from the jug. Just make sure the outside of the jug is relatively clean when you do so.

Great tips! Thank you! I actually did get a little splash on my thumb, ouch. Anywho, here are the stats for this morning...
PH:7.4 (down from 7.8)
TA:170 (down from 220)
It is pouring rain, should I attempt to bring the 7.4 ph down to 7.2 today OR aerate and let it get higher before I try again?

frogabog said:
That muriatic acid is ~25%. It's really difficult to calculate with. It's about all I can find around here. If I use 31.45% in the calculator, and then add 10% more it should be close, but it never is. Never quite right. Jason needs to write some javascript for 25% in the pool calculator, but I'd probably have to send him cookies or something first... :~}

31.45/25 = 1.258; So shouldn't you use ~ 26% more 25% MA than 31.45%? That would explain why adding 10% more isn't working for you. Think of it this way: if you use 100 oz of 31.45% MA you have added 31.45 "units" of 100% Acid and do do that with 25% acid you need to add 126oz. So from now on just take the PC numbers for 31.45% MA and multiply by 1.26 (5/4ths if you want to be less accurate) and you'll have calculated the amount you need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning:
Ph is about 7.9-8.0
I am assuming TA is still around 170, should I test?
I need to fill the pool.
Everytime I have filled when the water was still cloudy and the pipe was still broken, my already cloudy water turned even more of a funky color. I have not filled since the quick fix pipe re-do.I have a bottle of In The Swim Stain Away (sequestrant)Should I use this?
What order should I do everything?

Jill said:
This morning:
Ph is about 7.9-8.0
I am assuming TA is still around 170, should I test?
I need to fill the pool.
Everytime I have filled when the water was still cloudy and the pipe was still broken, my already cloudy water turned even more of a funky color. I have not filled since the quick fix pipe re-do.I have a bottle of In The Swim Stain Away (sequestrant)Should I use this?
What order should I do everything?
I never dealt with metal problems but I would lower the PH first. Then sequestrant and then start filling. That particular sequestrant will lower your Chlorine a tad depending on how much you add. Nothing to worry about but keep an eye on FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.