TDS = metals?

Metals do not show up as TDS. Salt, calcium, cyanuric acid, phosphates, manganese, potassium, etc are components of TDS. TDS is of no use in pools. Only what the certain constituents are. That is why we test for calcium and CYA. Salt if you are using a SWCG.

Those kits are pretty expensive. Those are the only tests we recommend you have a pool store do. May not give an accurate level of metals but will tell you if you have any in the water.

I don't know how necessary testing for metals is. Unless you are noticing staining or blondes going green then any metal level should be low enough to be of no consequence to an SWG.

However, if you are converting to saltwater then a good salt test kit would be useful. The k-1766 is the best option for salt testing.

Thanks, I haven't noticed any staining or anything like that so I guess I'll be ok. I read somewhere to use Poolmate's "Metal Out" before I convert. I also have the Hayward salt meter GLX-SALTMETER.

I also have a Hanna Instruments calcium hardness test kit that just came in today but I can't see to get it to work. I have a message in to them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.