jtucker615

Jul 18, 2023
Winfield, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First let me say with all the advice I've received from these forums I've learned how to take care of my pool and my pool water is clean and clear. So thank you all for that.

Now my question. Every time I test my PH using my Taylor test kit, I get a weak first test and have to test a second time to get actual results. This has only been happening for a couple of weeks. The first test will show very low PH like 6.8 or 7.0... the next tests are accurate at 7.6. I've tested 2 or 3 times in a row to be sure. Something about that first test is weird. I test my FC and PH daily so the reagents don't sit too long. The first couple times I thought maybe I only did 4 drops, but I've since counted carefully to ensure it's 5 full drops. It's just baffling

Do you pH test first right after you take the sample. Clean your tubes with rubbing alcohol or bleach/water every so often.

Clean the tube, and try again...

Reactions: proavia
There should be NO variables on that test unless you are not cleaning the vial properly between test or just simply needing a little more experience to fine tune your "pH Eye".

All these tests get easier and more accurate the more times you do them ☺️

By the way, many of us use 4 drops instead of 5. I find 5 to be too saturated with color and harder to compare tint. For me, 4 drops is super close to the saturation of the color blocks.

So just to clarify things...I do rinse my vial with alcohol about once a week. I also rinse it with pool water in between different reagent tests. I usually test for FC first..then rinse and test PH. I understand there shouldn't be any variables, but the fact of the matter is the first test every day gives a very light orange color...I rinse and repeat the test and get pinkish...about 7.6.... obviously I'm doing something somewhere, but what?

Try measuring pH first instead of FC. If pH behaves normally in this case, then maybe there were residual chemicals from the FC reagents.

I have a dedicated tube for chlorine measurements only since the FAS/DPD powder reagent can cloud the walls.

I would try double rinsing before the pH test (fill it full, swish, dump, repeat, then fill it to do the test). That should at least isolate whether it's residue, vs something with the drops themselves. Is there any way the first drop could be off, due to the way the bottle is stored or you hold it, etc? I know the exact amount of R-0004 shouldn't matter, and I don't think it separates or needs to be shaken, but grasping at straws there.

I've always done the FC and pH tests in different vials since I use a SpeedStir with its own vial -- if you have or can get another vial to do the FC test in, even if you swirl manually, that might avoid any interaction between the tests.

I use a "filter" to slide up and down the color block to get my best match. Helps me to cover up the adjacent readings. :smile:

full

Reactions: Mdragger88
Oh wait - are you testing FC with color block test? I read this thread three times trying to figure out why you were using the same vial for FC and PH. I have never actually used the color block test for chlorine!

Agree with the others - test your PH first.

Seems like we have gotten a bit off track. The chlorine/pH test comparator block is used to test pH. That test procedure calls for five drops of R-0014 and that is what you should use unless you are uncertain of your observation. You can reduce the reagent to 4 drops if you find it helps but the hue wont change.........just the density of the color. I think everyone knows that but let's make sure we stay on the same page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OP has aTaylor K-2006C test kit.

The K-2006 pH test uses R-0004 - so not R-0014 as used in the K-1000 or TF test kits.
Same premise, different sample size and reagent number.
It also includes the acid demand test (which is kind of worthless if you use PoolMath.

The K-2006 chlorine test is FAS-DPD - not OTO.

@jtucker615
Is the test kit srored indoors (climate controlled) when not in use?
How old are the reagents?
Are you rinsing the vial well between the first and second pH tests?

Is the test kit srored indoors (climate controlled) when not in use?
How old are the reagents?
Are you rinsing the vial well between the first and second pH tests?
Yes...stored in my kitchen in a cabinet. Reagents and kit were just purchased about 3 months ago. I rinse it well before each different test. Yesterday I did the PH first and got a normal test, so maybe I'll just do that from now on.

Sorry, I didn't clarify it is a k-2006 test kit

Reactions: proavia
Don’t use the same test vial. Get separate ones. The FC test uses strong pH adjusters to make sure the test is being done under acidic (low pH) conditions. The pH test is probably picking up that interference. Rinsing means lots of different things to different people but unless you are using purified water and triple rinsing the vials in between use, you may not be removing the chemicals from the previous test. It’s just easier to have separate test vials.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.