TA Reading

Ok! Be right back.. I have everything here but acid. I guess I can get that at the tractor supply store..

Pics? Ok.. Can do. The water is crystal clear ( well it WAS..). We just had a storm blow thru.

I'll go get my sample...

Leebo said:
imrodee said:
So what, everything is fixable... right? :mrgreen:

Check the FC tonight before bed. Raise it up to 8ppm after all the little ones are gone. Get ready in the next few day's to have to add some acid to lower the PH....as I'm sure it will raise soon. After you lower the PH, you're going to want to test the TA and adjust that too. Have baking soda on hand ready to add once needed.

On a side note.....when do we get pictures anyways???

FC = 2. Yikes!! Cloudyish water.bleach?

imrodee said:
66 oz?

My heart is racing, I'm so excited! If I'm right.. I'm celebrating!!

That really is the beauty of the BBB....there really is NO right answer. It's all about understanding what's going on with YOUR pool. For that...you get a :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

66oz of 6% bleach will raise your FC up about 2ppm assuming you have a 16,000 gallon pool. Given your FC reading of 2 before the test it will only carry a FC level of 4. Is this (FC level of 4)what your pool calculator say's as it's "target"?? If so.....change the 4 to a 8. Assuming you have a 16k gallon pool, and are using 6% bleach you will need 199oz of bleach to hit a FC mark of 8.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to change the goal.. 1.55 gallons?

Where do I add that, in front of a blower, or just add slowly walking around?

I always add mine in front of the return (which sounds like what I'm guessing you're calling a blower) and let the water-flow spread out the bleach. Saves the chance of splashing the bleach up on stuff.

1.55 gallons sounds right....the pool calculator rounds up at 1.6 gallons. I think they're just picky. :D

:study: :study: Great!!!! Thank you soooo much!

I'm headed out to do that. Yeah, I call them blowers, because thats what they do! :). LOL! I'll catch on to the lingo soon.

I can't thank you enough for hanging in ther with me. I'm actually pretty good at what I do, I need a visual understanding of WHY I'm doing this or that.

1.55 gal of bleach going in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No problem. :goodjob:

I am going to ask other smart people here. She's only had the plaster a week or so. Norm logic says cloudy water means shock.....but pool school says no shocking the first month after plaster.

Why is that???

How does this look today?

FC - 8
CC - .5
TC - 8.5
PH - 7.8
TA - 80
CH - 430
CYA - Didn't do this one but will if I need to
CSI - .4

PC isn't saying to add anything..so far. But I will pick up some MA today.

Any suggestions today?

Any chance you're using a speedstir? Your TA numbers are jumping somewhat, and to lower your ph (which you need to do) we need a good accurate reading.

Try the TA test like this. Get a white piece of paper (I myself have a poster board) and test against that. This will let you see the color changes better. Take your time and wipe the bottle after every other drop.

The only number I'd change is the PH which needs to be lowered to 7.4

Leebo said:
Any chance you're using a speedstir? Your TA numbers are jumping somewhat, and to lower your ph (which you need to do) we need a good accurate reading.

Try the TA test like this. Get a white piece of paper (I myself have a poster board) and test against that. This will let you see the color changes better. Take your time and wipe the bottle after every other drop.

The only number I'd change is the PH which needs to be lowered to 7.4

No speedstir... probably operator error. :oops: I use the taylor kit from TFP. I just retested (2x) and got TA = 80 both times.

I always use the white paper as a background, it makes a big difference!

Thank you for helping!!!

Honestly...even with a speedstir....I often get a jump on TA from time to time. With a vinyl pool it's not nearly as important as it is with a plaster pool.

Lower your PH to about 7.4 using acid. Make sure with the Pool Calculator you're TA level is input in correctly, as it affects the amount you need to add. Using 31% MA you'll want to add 18oz of acid to the pool. Do this just as you did the bleach. You'll see a HUGE drop in your CSI level once you are finished. :D

I'd HIGHLY suggest a speedstir for anybody with a plaster pool. Your CH readings become WAY more accurate with this tool. Next order you place for reagent refills.....I'd suggest this big time!

I added 18 oz of MA (walmart brand). How long do you recommend that I wait to retest the TA?

Thank you in advance!

About an hour after adding the acid is mixed more than enough to test or swim. Shouldn't change the ta much....but I would double check the PH.

That stuff sucks to work with doesn't it?

Yes.. it is! I bought a special measuring cup and bucket for the pool chemicals.. Because I wouldn't want to be measuring with my kitchen tools.

Putting gloves and goggles on when it's nearly 108 degrees is crazy. NOTE TO SELF: Get in pool, jump out, do test. THANK YOU!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.