This morning the results are:

FC 8.5
CC 0
TC 8.5
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 425
CYA 60

The CYA test was taken outside, with back to the sun.. It does make a difference, because I checked in the house near a bright window and had different results.

Did you add anything after the party? If not wow - you only lost 0.5ppm?

RE: last night after the kiddo party... Well... I hate to admit this......................... but I was out of bleach. The only thing I had available was a bag of REFRESH that the PB had left here, so I dumped it in. :oops: Everything is fixable, so I figured that was better than doing nothing at all.

Refresh is just Cal-Hypo. It added the chlorine and some calcium. By adding the bag, assuming it was only 1lb you raised the FC around 5 and the CH around 4.

Didn't hurt anything at all. Prolonged use can cause issues......but every now and then chemicals like Cal-Hypo, pucks, and Dichlor shock do have their advantages. Ease of use such as you just saw is one of the biggest ones.

Nothing to fix......just keep enjoying the water! Almost SWG time!

Leebo said:
Refresh is just Cal-Hypo. It added the chlorine and some calcium. By adding the bag, assuming it was only 1lb you raised the FC around 5 and the CH around 4.

Didn't hurt anything at all. Prolonged use can cause issues......but every now and then chemicals like Cal-Hypo, pucks, and Dichlor shock do have their advantages. Ease of use such as you just saw is one of the biggest ones.

Nothing to fix......just keep enjoying the water! Almost SWG time!

I can't THANK YOU enough for seeing me thru my first month of hand holding, testing and correcting!! I'm excited about going SWG soon! I know you probably need the break.. :oops: After I learn my pool that is!!! :hammer:

Seriously tho.. thank you so much. :cheers:

Sounds like 9ppm wasn't quite enough. The min FC for a 60 CYA is 5. You dropped to 4. I guess if you have another party like this you should check FC midway through and adjust if needed.

Since you dropped to 4 you might want to check for any losses over night but I bet things are fine.

After 3 days of peeeeple, and 100+ degree days, I was pleasantly surprised to get the following readings this morning:

FC 9
TC 9.5
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 375
CYA 50
CSI .04

According to the PC, I should add 19oz of MA this morning..

How off is my CSI? I don't see how I can manipulate the goal if I needed to, or do I?

Go read a book......your pool is enjoying life right now.

You can only "alter" your CSI by adjusting the factors that make up the CSI (TA, PH, CYA, Salt). It's looking good however.......nothing I'd touch.

:shock: Oh no! Maybe I can go find a neighbor's pool water to test!!

Well actually, my neighbor had a pool installed with one of the ozone systems. Just out of curiosity I'd like to see what their pool water is like. They have about the same size pool, finished about 3 weeks before ours. I'll ask them tonite if they would mind.

Meanwhile....... :snorkle:

SO, no acid today huh? Maybe I can backwash or something... :goodjob:

Thank you!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe spend a few minutes brushing the walls. :) It's something none of us do enough, myself included. Nice having the pool under control isn't it. You're doing great learning what does what, and I enjoy seeing your progress!

Maybe a photo or two of the pool will kill some time between bleach additions. ;)

I'll grab some pics today! I wish I could catch "Tucker" (shi-poo) on the tanning ledge. He squats down in the water, puts his two back legs straight out and crawls around. "Harley" goes to the furthest corner of the yard and watches.

I scrubbed the pool down really good yesterday - it was over 100 degrees here. I used one of those "magic eraser" sponges on the tile and it worked great!

Thanks, I could NOT have done any of this without the help from everyone!

I just saw something on another thread that was quite interesting. In my previous attempts to get my PH lowered, I was using Walmart SAFETY MA instead of normal MA. Someone said it takes double the amount of SAFETY MA to do the same job as regular MA.

Well, the last bottle of MA I bought came from the pool store. The fumes nearly knocked me over as I was carrying it at arms length (downwind) to the pool! PEEEEEU! Anyhow, if that comes up for anyone else, have them check the bottle. :sun:

PB crew showed up this morning (about 2 hours ago) and added the salt for the first time. The pump wasn't running at the time, but it started shortly afterward.

I just took these readings:

FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 400
CYA 60 (should be at 70 - 80 per PC)

I have the salt strips, but I'm pretty sure the salt hasn't circulated thru the system at this point.

Recommendations?
Any do's and don'ts at this point?

Thanks!!!

Keep your Chlorine in the 5 to 7 range. Now would be a good time to do some brushing. It will help dissolve the salt. Keep the pump running for at least 24 hours. After you turn on your SWG, keep a close eye on the Chlorine and test frequently till you get it dialed in. Add bleach if needed till you find the sweet spot between pump time and SWG %. I'd leave the CYA where it is till your satisfied with your settings. Adding 10 or 20 ppms of additional CYA later shouldn't affect those settings too much. Remember, CYA tests have a +/- 15 ppm accuracy, so adding in 5 ppm to 10 ppm increments would be better.

yeggim said:
Keep your Chlorine in the 5 to 7 range. Now would be a good time to do some brushing. It will help dissolve the salt. Keep the pump running for at least 24 hours. After you turn on your SWG, keep a close eye on the Chlorine and test frequently till you get it dialed in. Add bleach if needed till you find the sweet spot between pump time and SWG %. I'd leave the CYA where it is till your satisfied with your settings. Adding 10 or 20 ppms of additional CYA later shouldn't affect those settings too much. Remember, CYA tests have a +/- 15 ppm accuracy, so adding in 5 ppm to 10 ppm increments would be better.

Thanks! I'll program the pump to stay on. The green light on the SWG is flashing, which if I am understanding this correctly, means "high." The PB crew said they will have to come back to calibrate the cell in a day or two. I suppose I won't be able to depend on the light indicators until that is done. I will watch everything closely and test tonite.

Thanks again!

Today's numbers..
FC 12.5
TC 12.5
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 450 I don't know why it's so high..? There are no tablets or additives
CYA Didn't do this today (no sunshine) But it's normally 50-60

Computer Salt level - 3600
Salt strip is yellow up to one notch below the 6 mark - which IF I am reading this correctly it is 2530. That's quite a spread.

We've had 2 days of rain,, a live rat, a live frog, and there are 3 water features that run all day long (12 hours) Wind kicked in alot of dirt - but I cleaned that out.

Any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance!

No swimming - water is too cold right now. one use of the spa all week.

Do I need to get the CH down some?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.