imrodee said:
sample was 25 ml of pool water
added 2 level scoops of 870 powder
sample turned pink
it took 8 drops of R871 x .5 = 4.0 FC

added 5 drops 0003 to turn it light pink
5 drops x .5 = .25 CC

FC + CC = 4.25

A quick mistake in the test. When using the test with 25ml you will multiply the number of drops by 0.2.....soooo 5 drops x 0.2=CC of 1

Don't mess with using 25ml of water for this. It's FAR more accurate, but uses more reagent. Only 10ml of water is just fine. The same result will be acheived with only 2 drops....that took you 5. :D

---------------

imrodee said:
25 ml sample pool water
2 drops 0007
5 drops of 0008 water turned hot pink (not green)
instructions said to drop 0009 until sample turns red, x 10. Well, it was already red.
So TA = 0 I guess..?

Thank you..

Your TA and PH are VERY low. I would assume your PH is 6.8 (it could be much lower) and add something to bring it up to 7.5. I would assume baking soda in the case would be best, but I'm going to let others chime in. Let the pump run for about 15 minutes....then retest. Make sure you change your TA reading to zero in the pool calculator to avoid over-shooting your PH level. These two play hand in hand. I don't have much idea on raising your TA level......but I do know your best bet is to do it in steps. Your PH is going to jump all over the place for the next few weeks....so don't be concerned.

imrodee said:
sample turned pink

When using the 25ml sample each drop is only 0.2ppm not 0.5ppm:
8 x 0.2 = 1.6ppm Free Chlorine

imrodee said:
5 drops x .5 = .25 CC

Not quite; the R0003 reagent is used to turn it pink. THEN you use R0871 to turn it clear again. You don't know the level of CC's yet. Assuming you were using the 25ml sample each drop of R0871 used to turn the CC sample back to clear would equal 0.2ppm CC's.

Switch to the 10ml sample and save R0871; 0.5ppm accuracy is good enough.

imrodee said:
25 ml sample pool water
2 drops 0007
5 drops of 0008 water turned hot pink (not green)
instructions said to drop 0009 until sample turns red, x 10. Well, it was already red.
So TA = 0 I guess..?

I think you are correct. Dumping in a small amount of Baking Soda to raise TA by 20-40 points (EDIT: As Richard pointed out.) and retesting might be worthwhile. You need to raise it more but this is a smaller problem than the 1.6ppm of FC and the unknown CC's.

Richard320 said:
imrodee said:
sample turned pink

added 5 drops 0003 to turn it light pink5 drops x .5 = .25 CC
Arithmetic Mistake! CC= 2.5. That's too high!

He forgot to add R0871 as far as I can tell... thus CC = Unknown.

Whoops....read the write-up wrong. :D UnderWaterVanya is right about an unknown CC result. :D

Do NOT shock the pool to rid yourself of the CC reading. Let the plaster do it's thing. A call to the builder may be best to make sure they're OK with the very low PH and TA reading. Let them do what they need to do.

imrodee said:
sample turned pink

5 drops x .5 = .25 CC

FC + CC = 4.25
Looks like we're off track here. When using the 25 ml sample, each drop of R-0871 equals .2 so when you added 8 drops of the R-0871 that's 8x.2 So your FC is 1.6

In the CC test, you don't count the R-0003 drops. You always add 5 drops of the R-0003. If the sample turns pink, you then add the R-0871 drops till it's clear. You count those drops and multiply by .2 If the sample doesn't turn pink after adding 5 drops of R-0003 that means you don't have any CCs.

At any rate, there's no need to use the 25 ml sample. Use the 10 ml sample and multiply the R-0871 drops by .5 That will give you all the accuracy you need and save you some R-0871 reagent. The 25 ml sample uses more than twice the R-0871 reagent and you really don't need accuracy down to the .2 level.

OK.. I was trying to follow the card.. I guess I fail Math and Reading. :cry: I didn't see
When using the 25 ml sample, each drop of R-0871 equals .2 so when you added 8 drops of the R-0871 that's 8x.2 So your FC is 1.6

As for the issues you're having with the testing........

Fill a cup or something full of pool water. Enough to do several tests. Take that inside to do your testing. Once you get the hang of things you'll catch on very quickly to the procedure's for the tests.

I'm sorry - I'll be back - I have to run to Fort Worth - I'll be gone for a few hours.. I REALLY appreciate you trying to help me. The pool school from the store will be here at 7 pm... I am going to call the builder and ask why my numbers are so skewed right now.. The day the pool was filled, I know they put 1.5 bottles of acid in the water (that was Saturday.) Sunday nite, they told us to put refresh and di chlor in it... after we were finished swimming, so we did.

I have to actually WORK.. dang it. I'll be back!!! Thanks again everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's why it's so low.....

They're using acid to help with the plaster. 200oz of acid will lower the PH by almost 3 and lower the TA by almost 50.

I'm guessing in the next day or so they'll be back to raise the levels back up....but I'd still make 100% sure.

I had a meeting with the pool school fellas. They showed me the computer and how to run the equipment. I asked them why my levels were all off. They need to keep the PH low (as you suspected) for the curing process. I asked them about algae growth, and they said they need the acid in there doing it's thing right now. It is safe to swim in, but they said to make sure we take showers and put lots of lotion on afterwards. They are coming back in the morning to take water samples to their store. We'll see what they come up with!

Meanwhile, I will do as you suggested and PRACTICE!! I'm going to make a separate instruction page for myself for each test and laminate them. I won't get the salt system activated until after 28 days of chlorine.

I'll post the results I get when I do the test in the morning. Thanks SOOOO much!!!

Helen

Sounds like a good builder so far.....just punch them in the face if they add much more CYA! I do disagree however, I'd avoid swimming for now. Your eye's will burn big time! I guess for now we just wait.........

Anybody know any good jokes??

:goodjob:

They are waiting 28 days (from fill date) to do the salt system I guess. Meanwhile, I brush the pool take samples (and do them correctly.) :roll:

I'll post my numbers in a bit - I've got to get some docs out. (dang work!)

NO WAY LEEBO!!!! Alice Cramdon? hahaha! She is an icon.... well, I don't even think there were icons back then! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.