TA Level

I tested the water around 6:30AM this morning and came up with 8.5 FC at 17 drops so dropped by 3, it did rain a little during the night so not sure if that can affect it at all. It looks like I should shock today ?? I am going to try to measure now.

Here are the diamensions the best I could get them and a picture. The pool is more or less 38' at longest point, across I started at deep end and got measurements of about 21', 18', 20', 19' and 22' at shallow end (I tried measuring at the widest and narrowest peaks u could say) The pool starts at about 3.5 feed but quickly goes to 4 feet, its 5.5 feed at the 23' mark. I measured 7.5 deep at deep end but closer to edge so could be 8 in middle?? The water is about 2 inches lower then it should be right now. The HotTub is 8 feet wide and 3.5 deep, while the seat is 18" around and water is 2 feet deep on the seat area so about 1.5" less then deeper middle area. If someone could help me estimate I would greatly appriciate it as I have no idea how to begind :) the good math days are way behind me even though that was one my best subjects in school :D

IMG_4299.jpg

I checked the CYA level this morning after adding about 5 to 6lbs yesterday and it was at about 36 from 27 so went up about 10 points, not much. This is getting a bit confusing to me, even at 34K gallons I should have only needed 2lbs 9oz to bring it up 10 pts

cya can take a week to show up on test.

So you had a drop of 3 which is greater than 1 ppm, which suggests you need to shock. Rain can effect the test, how much rain do you think you got? Do you know what a typical FC loss for your pool is when you get rain?

What is your CC level?

I will look at your dimensions and give a calculation a shot...you do have an irregular pool!

linen said:
cya can take a week to show up on test.

So you had a drop of 3 which is greater than 1 ppm, which suggests you need to shock. Rain can effect the test, how much rain do you think you got? Do you know what a typical FC loss for your pool is when you get rain?

What is your CC level?

I will look at your dimensions and give a calculation a shot...you do have an irregular pool!
I think the CC is somewhere between 0 and 0.5. The water did turn a very slight pink, even less then yesterday and one drop turned it right back to clear. But that was all at 6:30AM. I only checked CYA since then. I guess I will head out to get some bleach and hopefully when I get back I can figure out just how much I really need if you are able to somewhat figure out what my size really is. I have no idea what my FC loss in rain, never really checked, I do not think it was much rain at all, mostly drizzle from what i saw.

If it was just drizzle then you need to do the shocking process.

Your cya should be about 46 assuming your 34000 (which is larger than I think it is...still working on that), so you shock level is 16 ppm per pool calculator.

I would probably get at least a 15 gallons of 6% bleach to start (you most likely will need more eventually) or at least half that of 12.5% liquid chlorine.

linen said:
If it was just drizzle then you need to do the shocking process.

Your cya should be about 46 assuming your 34000 (which is larger than I think it is...still working on that), so you shock level is 16 ppm per pool calculator.

I would probably get at least a 15 gallons of 6% bleach to start (you most likely will need more eventually) or at least half that of 12.5% liquid chlorine.
I have added another 3lbs of CYA since I measured the level since I figured I will need it anyhow, even when I checked pool at 28K gallons it showed 11 total needed and so far I added 9. I am not understanding why you counting the CYA at 46, are u taking account what has not dissolved yet? I thought I need to use whatever CYA I come up with my testkit for shock level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
The amount you have added is effective, but it takes up to a week to show up in the test.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)
with the additional 3lbs of stabilizer and using 29000 gallons I see my cya at 65 and shock level to be 19 correct? I picked up 11x 2gallon jugs of bleach from wallmart. I am going to check my FC now and shock it, then bring it back up to 19 every couple of hours then check fc loss over night?

Sounds like a good plan. Although now you may be a little high on the CYA compared to our recommended levels.

jblizzle said:
Sounds like a good plan. Although now you may be a little high on the CYA compared to our recommended levels.

what do you mean high? recommended levels for my pool are between 70-80 so 65 is still too low for what it should be. Can you please explain?

70 to 80 is the recommended level but it's not ideal if you have to shock. You can shock at that level but the shock level is really high.

I get about 29000 gallons for your pool too.

I think you're going to need more than 15 gallons of bleach.

Rafalski said:
I purchased 11bottles of 2 gallon bleach, put 6 bottles in for start, that should bring it to 26FC which is recommended shock level according to Pool School, still have 5 bottles left. Am I doing this right?
What worries me now is with that level of shock I might run out of drops, will probably be inthe 40s each time i measure FC

Tested about two hours later and now FC is 29. does that mean my pool is even smaller or what ( the depth I gave you is for water level and not actualy pool depth, did you guys entire pool capacity based on my numbers? because if 29K is full pool capacity I am probably below that, I am probably 5 or 6 inches below pool top level and couple inches below the ideal depth) I did turn off the SWG before testing for shocking originally. I assume I should wait till it actually drops below 26 before adding bleach?

Likely the pool is smaller than you think and maybe the bleach was a little stronger than you you think.

Yup just wait until the FC drops below shock level and bump it back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.